Buying a Miata

It's a 1991.5 car. The seller had his son post it on craigslist, but his son, being in kirksville, posted it on the kirksville craigslist... Well... I use CraigLook so I can do a radius search based on my location, and it popped right up, being in Independence.

The ad looked legit, and the car appeared to be well taken care of. I'd looked at 4 cars previous to this one, and by far, this looked to be in the best shape. I e-mailed the guy, leaving him my phone number.

About an hour later, conveniently when i was in the loo, I get a call from a new number.... Mr. Steve D., selling a 1991 Miata. We set up plans to meet around 6 for a testdrive.

4:00 comes around, and I have errands to run. The S/R has to go into Ford for an alignment. Apparently I bent one of the front struts by 1.3* towards negative camber. I still do not understand how that car is aligned. Dad drops me back by his house after, and I take the GSX over to Travis's.

About 5:00, Trav and I goto my house to pick up my clothes for the next day (Staying at Randi's), and a Bill of sale form. I then try to call Steve. Apparently, I only had his work number... So I left a message, And sent an e-mail, And then finally googled him, found his wife's phone number, and his address. The wifey was happy to give me her hubby's cell #. We talked briefly to confirm the visit, and departed.

We rolled through the east side of Independence, and up to this farm house about 6:00... The shiny little red car smirked at us as we rumbled in. The GSX was not happy. I walked up, shook Steve's hand, and started checking out the car. This thing was in freaking great condition-- Especially for a 91. The interior and engine bay were spotless, the black leather seats were still soft and smooth, the power windows and automatic headlights actuated flawlessly. No leaks, grinds, or anything to be seen. I was very much so pleased. I checked everywhere on the car, and could not find structural damage, so off on the test drive we went.

It's definately a rev-happy little car. It's a blast to drive and bang through the gears, though I think the N/A GSX is actually a tad quicker. The way you slip into the cockpit is almost indescribable though. It felt like I was in an antique car, all shined to perfection. I was absolutely stoked. Finally, a car that looks as good as it runs, and they aren't wanting a fortune for it.

I verified the VIN number to ensure it had the revised crankshaft design, and tested that the LSD works, and made the guy an offer. He accepted at $3500. Unfortunately, as late as it was, I couldn't get money out of the bank. We had to wait until the next day.

Tuesday rolled around, and I was jittery, impatient, and giddy. 7:00-3:00 was the most painful. The last 30 minutes of work from there, I kept thinking of how much butt I was going to have to haul to get everything done. Finally, the long awaited 3:30 arrived, and like hell out of a bat, I was off.

The GSX once again has proven to be the best $1000 car I will ever own. It flogged beautifully through traffic, as I weaved my way to my destination. I rolled up at the bank about 3:55, pull out cash, and drive to Bob Sight Ford right up the street, where I pay about $330 to pick up my aligned/repaired S/R. The GSX, being tempermental, got to sit in the parkinglot while I went to get my dad.

Dad and I convoyed back to the CV Shack to drop off the GSX. It was once again NOT happy from being driven hard. That's okay though, because it finally gets to peacefully rest in the garage. I once again grabbed a bill of sale form, license plate off the GSX, clothes and food for the next day, locked up the house, and drove dad home.

I took the S/R over to Travis, and had him drive me out to Independence in it... For his limited time driving a stickshift, he did pretty well. We made great time, and ended up beating Steve to the house. Shortly after he arrived, we finished the paperwork, paid bills, and departed.

I let travis drive the faster car, and dropped the top so I could hear him chirp the tires better. OH-EM-JEE convertables are great when it's 70 outside-- Almost as fun as motorcycles. The Miata is slow... but it's relaxing. I enjoy it. It's flogability and build quality are impressive, and very well make up for it.

I-pulled- up to a house about seven or eight. I yelled to the cabbie yo home, smell you later! Looked at my kingdom i was finally there-- To sit on my throne as the prince of bel-air.

No, Not really. I took the car over to Randi's, and took her for a drive. She wanted to drive lol. No way Jose. So far it's been fun! I love my Miata and have no buyers remorse... Even when driving it down the highway in the slow lane with a purple polo on, listening to Maroon 5.

way to keep a low profile after being banned here once, jason....

ryan... i want a ride. before and after. i miss my miata and the mexicans painted my old one orange... :(

way to keep a low profile after being banned here once, jason....

My thoughts exactly.. and I believe he's been banned twice.

I like the Miata - it's a fun, little pocket rocket. But to me, it's just that - I don't think I'd want to DD one.

-Melon

My thoughts exactly.. and I believe he's been banned twice.

I like the Miata - it's a fun, little pocket rocket. But to me, it's just that - I don't think I'd want to DD one.

-Melon

I agree sortof. I like DD'ing it, but it's definately a slow-lane car. The S/R is hands down considerably faster, and just as nimble in traffic.

have to disagree... i loved mine and it made a mighty fine DD. now, as far as using it for work if you're in HVAC... lets just say you look pretty funny driving down the interstate with the top down, and a toolbag/vaccum pump on your rear package tray. :rolleyes:

Tyler, consider my commute... you have nothing even similar in wichita. Keeping up with traffic, I have a 30 minute drive averaging 80mph.

Would you want to do that in a 2000lb car that sits at 3500rpms at 65?

i was just talking to troy out of Warrenton the other day, he claims he put a turbo v-6 in one of those once. claims its run to fast for the car and hasnt ever heard back from the owner. he feels the owner might have had a bad experience. sweet looking lil cars though.

i'd still like to see an sc engine in one. would accept pretty much the same swap kit as a 5.0, just different motor mounts. all that low end tourque would be ungodly fun. :D

I dont understand what is so hard about this for you to comprehend.

The 3.8 SC motor is a terrible swap candidate.

No, it is NOT a direct swap. The 5.0 and 3.8 differ in one main aspect... A blower. Oh, and guess what comes with that blower? Ford's octopus of intake tubing!! That'll surely fit, right? Even the intercooler?? Oh, and you know how you have to modify the intake tube on a Superstang because it straight up won't fit?? Try putting that same motor in an even SMALLER engine bay! Might as well leave the hood off, because the blower snout probably wont clear either... but that's weight reduction, right? Nobody cares about cosmetics and build quality anyway....

Man, that "Low End Torque" of a supercoupe motor is soo amazing... I mean it makes them the fastest car on the streets! Everybody wants one so that they can beat Zeus him self in a race! Camaro and Mustang owners hide in fear of the sheer torque of the 3.8SC! The stock quarter mile times are testiment to it's greatness... Every single pass you make in a supercoupe will be a world speed record.

Back