Not a gearhead but what to tear down

lurch256

So I have two SC engines. Both with bad heads. One in the car, one out of the car...
I don't know a terrible lot about the 3.8 but am wanting to know how horrible is this engine for me to "learn" on?
Is there a step by step book I can buy?

I would have it done, but I can't find a place that will do it cheap.. And by cheap I mean for less than 1k.......

I was going to fix everythign while in there, new gaskets and new berings just to do it now so i don't have to in a while.

I also have the spare to look at and make sure it is all good, OR give away in exchange for labor...

Thoughts? Can I do this, or does anyone want to do it for me and get a "free" engine?

Ford Shop Manual is the best, followed by the good ole Haynes manual....

Personally, I would rebuilt the motor that is already out of the car and install it after all the repairs are done....

Ford Shop Manual is the best, followed by the good ole Haynes manual....

Personally, I would rebuilt the motor that is already out of the car and install it after all the repairs are done....

Yeah that is the plan...
If I get those books can I pull it off? I don't think I am an idiot but ........
You never know!

How experienced are you at rebuilding an engine. These are not unique in unbolting and bolting back together, but since they are a high peformance engine its crutial that you check everything closely. 1K is a rather small budget to do one of these correctly...............Dan

How experienced are you at rebuilding an engine. These are not unique in unbolting and bolting back together, but since they are a high peformance engine its crutial that you check everything closely. 1K is a rather small budget to do one of these correctly...............Dan

Not really experienced, and that is my big fear. I would love to learn but can't find anyone nearby that makes it easy, so I figure the next best thing is to buy the book and learn on my own. I have a spare engine that can get repaired by a pro if need be and I am out nothing.... I can follow instructions, i know how to use tools, and I don't have anything to loose really.

it can be done! i am 17 and just fired up my first engine rebuild, an 89 sc. its probably not the best engine to learn on, just keep everything clean. i haven't added up the receipts yet, but i'm guessing i have $1000-1500 in it. now i know that its not the best 3.8 out there, but i learned a lot because i did all the work on it. at least i know who to blame when it grenades....:eek:

Back