Tempermental SC, Starting Issues

TheAWK

ok, so i bought 2 1990 thunderbirds and dissected them both and built one from the 2 of them.

i tried to match as many parts off of one whenever possible. the block was over bored by 10 and then i put in new pistons with the rings to match,

head is ported, and gasket to match.

now we had some real issues starting it initially, but moved the crank sensor a half turn and then we had ignition.

i had started it 3 times through the winter while it was in storage to keep everything lubricated and whatnot.

now last week i went to start it and there was nothing. it would turn over but not ignite.

now our original diagnosis was the cold last fall but now it seems to be the opposite way.

any advice would be helpful.

thanks

im thinking crank sensor or bad harmonic balancer they break a lot on these cars ,one time mine wouldnt start and i unplugged the cam sensor and it started and i made it home to replace the cam sensor . i bought a good harmonic balancer from this website bhj i think it was around 350 bucks but never broke yet. i have never had a problem with coil packs or dis module so i would pull a plug wire and look for spark or pull a plug and see if its wet

Last edited:
Fouled plugs? Try pressing the gas pedal all the way down to cut fuel and hopefuly the plugs will clear. Then try to modulate the pedal and try to get a start.

we have cleaned the plugs after letting them dry, and still no success.

I guess i should start replacing all the sensors and see where i end up.

so today it decided to start for 30 seconds then flood and die and not start again.

so im thinking its a fuel or sensor issue?

what should i check first?

If it is indeed "flooding", then fuel pressure could be an issue.....

It's cheap, pretty easy to check, and will eliminate some things that could be causing your problems....

I would bet its fuel related. Im not the most experienced mechanic but i always check the big 3 first, fuel, air and spark. I would look at your fuel filter. Also have someone turn the key to the ignition and place your ear near the gas cap with it off and listen for a click and swirling. If alls fine there go ahead and hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail. If all 3 check fine then id say a sensor somewhere is dust.

we drained the tank and cleaned plugs again, then my starter was dead, even though it was rebuilt 4 months ago so back to the shop with it!

we'll find out next week when i have more spare time what its newest problem is!

Back