gears or not?

k_schutte

I have a set of 3.27 gears sitting around I was thinking about using and I was wondering what your opinions are, specific to my application...

'89 5-speed Spec stage 2 or 3 (can't remember which, I THINK it's a 6-puck which would be a stage 3...)
76MM C&L MAF with 42lb sampling tube
75mm BBK Throttle Body (new TPS and IAC sensors put on)
42lb Precision Turbo fuel injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
94-95 Blower/inlet (inlet ported for 75mm T.B.)
15% overdrive (10% blower, 5% J.S.)
shorty headers
straight 2.5" dual straight pipes back to about the rear of the doors, then stock from there back...
2.5" raised/big bore supercharger top
big ole front mount intercooler (stuff behind bumper cover cut away for more air flow)
2.5" I.C. pipes
EGR has been removed
HyperTech chip

I run 93 octane with 104+ octane booster added to a full tank.

Last edited:
I have 3.08 gears sitting in my garage. I have a 3.27 pumpkin sitting in my garage. And after I acquired all that, I decided I'm gonna keep the 2.73's in the 5 speed. I like the top end and with my engine the way it is, it doesn't need any help at low rpm's.

Last edited:
forgot to mention I am planning to drift the car and may be run a couple buddies at the track.

I figured the higher gears would probably come in handy for that?

forgot to mention I am planning to drift the car and may be run a couple buddies at the track.

I figured the higher gears would probably come in handy for that?

I wouldn't expect to have any issues drifting with my car and gears... but then it depends on your power level. It's been a while since I drove it... (winter in MN) but second gear with 2.73's seems like it would work pretty good for drifting. I don't know if it would get better or worse with something else. I guess you'd want to figure out the sweet spot with the gearing. Any ideas of what your torque curve looks like and sweet spot for RPM would be?

Back