got wierd advice want your opinion

birdlessmuz

so i was talking to a guy who is a mechanic and we were talking about my brake problems and he told me that if your power steering fluid is a little low that the brakes wont work so what do you think?

so i was talking to a guy who is a mechanic and we were talking about my brake problems and he told me that if your power steering fluid is a little low that the brakes wont work so what do you think?

BS

i have a power steering leak. my brakes don't quit when the pump starts to wine because its low on fluid.

some gm vehicle's brake booster is actually ran from pressure of the power steering unit. i think its called a hydroboost system, not exactly sure. but if the power steering unit is low on fluid, it can cause some break issues.
that might have what the guy was talking about.

some gm vehicle's brake booster is actually ran from pressure of the power steering unit. i think its called a hydroboost system, not exactly sure. but if the power steering unit is low on fluid, it can cause some break issues.

didnt know must be:rolleyes:

Were you talking to him yesterday, April the 1st.....:eek:

Brakes and power steering are two separate systems on these cars....:p

On the T-Bird the systems are not linked.
Like it has been said before...
GM Vehicles use a Hydroboost system.
Same systme we use on the HMMW-V

The P/S pump runs pressure through a BOOSTER that provides the pressure assist for the brakes, as well as providing the pressure to keep the cooling fan disengaged. The sytem also has an accumulator like our T-Birds do.

When something happens to the P/S system... the brakes go full manual and THOSE ARE A PAIN IN THE BEHIND! Very Hard pedal! No to mention the steering is damn near impossible and then the noise from the cooling fan running.
IF you do not know the "TRICK" to burping/bleeding the system and do it wrong... it will drive you crazy trying to bleed!

fliulds

Also check your blinker fluid! when the blinker fluid gets low it will cause all kinds of problems :p

:D:D
dont forget your muffler bearings they cause all kinds of probelms

Anyways looking forward to hearing from you on the parts

Ford also utilized the Hydro boost brake system on the 03/04 Cobra's. I believe they were also used on the earlier 4.6 DOHC Cobra's. I don't recall if the Hydro boost brake system is used on the Shelby GT500's. The system is great as long as the engine doesn't stall. If you lose engine power, you lose brakes and steering:eek: Some of the early production 03 Cobra's experienced a stalling condition when making a low speed turn and if my memory is correct they issued an update to the EEC.

Bryan

the hydroboost system is a good idea on any forced induction vehicle. i wonder if we can convert our sc's to that, if the power steering leak problem is solved.

fyi, you can convert to vac assisted brakes. most anytime you are using your brakes you should have vac. all that you need is 12vac and im not sure about your car but mine produces far more then that. it will even go as high as 24vac if i leave it in gear and let off of the gas from 80mph. at idle it sits around 17-18vac.

yup he is confused.

he is talking about a hydro-boost type setup.

GM, some select fords, BMW and other euro vehicles used that setup. runs on same pump as power steering.

Its what the thunderbird should have used in my opinion...

The system is great as long as the engine doesn't stall. If you lose engine power, you lose brakes and steering:eek: Bryan

This is not 100 percent true.

yes if motor stalls the power steering quits, but the brakes still use an accumulator so you have power brakes till you can safely stop the vehicle.

they worked really good and BMW had good results with them. the only draw back is absolutly no pedal feel with them, the pedal always feels the same.

Back