Max Rebuild W/O Chip

Raymondo

After a ton of reading here and putting together a parts list, I have reached a roadblock. I need to know to what extent I can modify my engine without having to install an aftermarket chip. Here is what I have tentatively planned:

Bore & hone block to .20 over
Port heads and intake (gasket match)
King Main and Rod bearings
Wiseco forged pistons & rings from XR7 Dave
73mm & 76mm Throttlebody and MAF
Stage 1 Comp Cam
Scorpion Roller Rockers
Upgrade Fuel & Oil Pump
Upgrade Injectors (44s, maybe)

What, if anything, do I need to eliminate from this list in order to avoid the expense of a chip & tuning?

Thanks for all the help guys!

changing the MAF, throttle body, cam, and injectors size would all require a tune---so not much left really. If you intend doing all that do it all at once so you only have to have it tuned once..............Dan

Last edited:
I have a good deal of modifications to my SC...nearly everything was at least touched (not to the extreme)...but I don't have a tune yet. Using the correct sample tube for the 42# injectors and an adjustable FPR the car runs and drives great, BUT I'm sure not optimally. I plan on tuning it when money allows, but until then, I want to be careful.

Ultimately, unless you have a way to at least check your AFR, you could be playing with fire. With your modification plans, I think you can probably get away without a tune, but you would definitely AT LEAST benefit from one.

After a ton of reading here and putting together a parts list, I have reached a roadblock. I need to know to what extent I can modify my engine without having to install an aftermarket chip. Here is what I have tentatively planned:

Bore & hone block to .20 over
Port heads and intake (gasket match)
King Main and Rod bearings
Wiseco forged pistons & rings from XR7 Dave
73mm & 76mm Throttlebody and MAF
Stage 1 Comp Cam
Scorpion Roller Rockers
Upgrade Fuel & Oil Pump
Upgrade Injectors (44s, maybe)

What, if anything, do I need to eliminate from this list in order to avoid the expense of a chip & tuning?

Thanks for all the help guys!

The tune is probably the most important thing. Skimp on it and your new motor could easily end up a smoking pile of failure. Even in stock trim the tune is not optimum and is set up to be pig rich, which cost you a lot of power.

David

I agree, theres no way around a tune with all you want. I have a C&L MAF with a red tube and 42lb injectors as well other stuff done and I can tell mine doesn't run like it should. Got more power, but I can feel the EEC really cutting it out too. So do everything you plan but make sure you add a tune to it and you will be rewarded.

Thank you very much guys. So, my next question is about the chip and tune. I have read that several are using Quarterhorse, and that someone, Fraser or Dave maybe, can provide a "mail-order" tune if you send them the chip with your detailed rebuild specifications. Is that accurate?

Thank you very much guys. So, my next question is about the chip and tune. I have read that several are using Quarterhorse, and that someone, Fraser or Dave maybe, can provide a "mail-order" tune if you send them the chip with your detailed rebuild specifications. Is that accurate?

Yes.

David

for a lil extra and providing all the info that Dave and or Fraser need, they can get the tune real close and send it to you via email if you have the quarterhorse. you will also need an LC-1 a/f wide band to help assist them in what they need to know. it wont be a fine tune but both of them have enough experience to get you real close without having to be there. mine runs great but still has some fine tuning to do.

for a lil extra and providing all the info that Dave and or Fraser need, they can get the tune real close and send it to you via email if you have the quarterhorse. you will also need an LC-1 a/f wide band to help assist them in what they need to know. it wont be a fine tune but both of them have enough experience to get you real close without having to be there. mine runs great but still has some fine tuning to do.

That's good news. No shop around here knows anything about tuning these cars. Having a mail order tune from someone who does know is head and shoulders above a tune from someone who has no experience whatsoever.

Ray, I found a shop willing to retune my car, not to plug anyone particular, but Dynospeed on Elmore. They emailed me saying $450 for custom dyno-tune. Though they did admit to never having done an SC before.

Ray, I found a shop willing to retune my car, not to plug anyone particular, but Dynospeed on Elmore. They emailed me saying $450 for custom dyno-tune. Though they did admit to never having done an SC before.

Yeah I did speak to them, but that it not including the chip. :)

:eek:

I didn't realize they were that much, other places I've talked to give you the chip with a basic tune.

i really dont understand why you would spend all that cash on a motor but skimp on not tuning it. talk to dave d have him set you up a chip that will get it drivable and then take it to dave and have him put it on a dyno and tune it right.

I'll be getting my QH soon and recently got my LC-1, so if you have any questions feel free to give me a call.

Memphis is quite a drive away from either Dave or Fraser. With the QH and Fraser's DEF file, you can datalog, get assistance and tune it yourself. Dyno not absolutely required but where ya gonna do WOT again and again without breaking the law? Steep learning curve and risk of screwing up but hasn't it always been that way?

Would like to see more QH/BE tuning discussions but it's all fairly new to most of us.

i really dont understand why you would spend all that cash on a motor but skimp on not tuning it. talk to dave d have him set you up a chip that will get it drivable and then take it to dave and have him put it on a dyno and tune it right.

Wasn't looking to skimp...just needing to know what the point of no return was. :)

Back