Weird Vibration Problem

Raymondo

For sometime now my SC has been experiencing what I can best describe as a shudder that rises and falls at about 65 mph. At times it is more pronounced than others, but it is always there. I have new tires, new hubs, a recent alignment and balance, and my trusted mechanic has gone over all the front end components finding nothing worn or in need of repair. I have even switched tires and rims back to stock with no change. What in the heck is causing this?

If changing the wheels didn't correct or change the vibration, then it's likely in the drivetrain somewhere. It's gotta be something that rotates for it to cause a harmonic vibration like that. Driveshaft being out of balance or a faulty u-joint would be the likely cause. It could also be a half-shaft binding up, but not as likely. And now that I'm thinking about it, if a knuckle was damaged in any way during the bearing and hub removal and installation, that could be the source.

What's really funny is that at times it is worse and at other times it is barely noticeable. Strange

just a shot in the dark here, possibly a rack going out? not sure how you could check for that.

I think what you are experiencing is a phenomenon called "cavitation".....

Mine will vibrate so bad, at 70 mph, that you cannot see out the rear view mirror...

Are the front end parts still original....:confused:

Might make sure your driveshaft to differential bolts are nice and tight. They WILL work loose if they don't have the right amount of loctite and torque on them.

X2 on that.....

I picked up a 92 that only had two bolts left in the dif flange and they were only finger tight.....:eek:

I think what you are experiencing is a phenomenon called "cavitation".....

Mine will vibrate so bad, at 70 mph, that you cannot see out the rear view mirror...

Are the front end parts still original....:confused:

Sounds like it alright...someone somewhere has bound to have discovered a solution/ :confused:

This might be a stupid question, but here goes....

Have you ever had the trans or dif out of the car.....

There are quite a few of us that are suffering from this same vibration phenomenon....:mad:

After reading all of the posts about others trying to track down this problem, I have come to the conclusion that the geometry of the drive train might be the culprit....

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the drive shaft suppose to be out by 3 degrees on each end....:confused:

This might be a stupid question, but here goes....

Have you ever had the trans or dif out of the car.....

There are quite a few of us that are suffering from this same vibration phenomenon....:mad:

After reading all of the posts about others trying to track down this problem, I have come to the conclusion that the geometry of the drive train might be the culprit....

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the drive shaft suppose to be out by 3 degrees on each end....:confused:

Yes, I have had the tranny out to replace the slave cylinder and swapped the differential. The problem was there prior. I had to replace my drive shaft and u-joints and they went bad. I wonder in the new drive shaft I had made is the problem? I do not know anything about the drive shaft being out by 3 degrees....might be it. Wonder how we can find out.....

Mine showed up after I had the trans rebuilt.....

I thought it might be the engine giving me the vibration, but when I knock it out of gear at 80 mph the vibration is still there, so the problem is definitely in the drive train.....

I think that when the mechanic dropped the dif, it might have changed the drive train angle....

I am told the if the drive shaft is perfectly aligned to the trans or dif, it can cause a vibration......:confused:

Mine showed up after I had the trans rebuilt.....

I thought it might be the engine giving me the vibration, but when I knock it out of gear at 80 mph the vibration is still there, so the problem is definitely in the drive train.....

I think that when the mechanic dropped the dif, it might have changed the drive train angle....

I am told the if the drive shaft is perfectly aligned to the trans or dif, it can cause a vibration......:confused:

Well I did some reading here yesterday and it looks like the drive shaft must be connected to the differential only one what to avoid vibration. So, I am going to remove the bolts spin it 180 degrees, reattach it and see what happens.

Well I did some reading here yesterday and it looks like the drive shaft must be connected to the differential only one what to avoid vibration. So, I am going to remove the bolts spin it 180 degrees, reattach it and see what happens.

Can someone explain this??

Back