sc on my stang?

senorsmoothie

About to purchase some parts to put a super coupe sc on my 2000 3.8 stang. Just wondering any problems anyone has ran into in doing this and how they fixed them thanks.

About to purchase some parts to put a super coupe sc on my 2000 3.8 stang. Just wondering any problems anyone has ran into in doing this and how they fixed them thanks.

I am doing this in a 1998 right now. Not sure you want to do just the supercharger swap if you're doing it in a 2000. It is much more difficult in a 99+ mustang. May want to consider an entire thunderbird sc engine.

Also, v6power.net has a ton of info, but again, most people have done this swap on a 94-98

you're going to have to take your engine down to the shortblock and install the sc heads, intake, blower, and come up with an intercooler solution. will definitely need to be tuned, you will need the SC injectors, and i wouldnt recommend cranking up the boost any. with a good exhaust, ported intake and lightly ported blower, along with enough fuel and cooling, you should be able to keep ACT's in check and not have to worry about detonation.

i would say you are looking at a solid 250hp with that combo. biggest issue you will run into is not being able to overdrive the blower due to the high comp. ratio that the n/a engines have.

otherwise its a good fairly cheap way to bump your horsepower up, versus going with a ~5k centrifugal SC kit.

an sc topend would probably run you 5-600, add about 500 for intercooler, another 300 for injectors, add an SVT Focus fuel pump ~100, and a good tune for around half a grand and you're at about 2k, which seems like a pretty sound investment if you ask me. add meth injection to keep ACT's in check and to supplement your intercooler for about another 300 and you should have a pretty rock solid setup that will have you hanging with the gt's.

turbo = still the same issues. you will have to up your fueling, add an intercooler, have turbo manifolds made/purchase them, plumb everything, route cooling/oil lines, tune it, etc. you're into the same ordeal.

granted for a little bump in hp, if you can get a basic turbo kit around 2k with a cheap chinajunk turbo, and an adjustable fpr... but doesnt include a true tune.

trust me, going with an sc topend would be the best bang for your buck, and be dead nuts reliable with the proper supporting mods and a good tune.

turbo = still the same issues. you will have to up your fueling, add an intercooler, have turbo manifolds made/purchase them, plumb everything, route cooling/oil lines, tune it, etc. you're into the same ordeal.

granted for a little bump in hp, if you can get a basic turbo kit around 2k with a cheap chinajunk turbo, and an adjustable fpr... but doesnt include a true tune.

trust me, going with an sc topend would be the best bang for your buck, and be dead nuts reliable with the proper supporting mods and a good tune.

Agreed. Either that or drop in a whole motor.

.... a v8 swap would cost him just as much, and unless its a low mile clean example, he wouldnt get enough out of it and add an sc swap price to it to get a gt.

you could probably get a used stock 5.0, the wiring harness, computer, mounts, etc and swap it into the stang you have now... or just swap a topend and have it tuned, making more power, getting better mpg's and just all around being cool.... all on the same dollar.

Those cheap 5.0 mustangs anit all they're crack up to be. Buddy at work just picked a 87 up for $1700 (with parts for MAF conversion and other goodies) and is now spending another $3500 to get it running (plus strokers, bore, heads, cam an intake); it blew all the coolant through the motor/exhaust the day after he bought it.

I'd like to see a SPI SC, wouldn't that just require a custom lower?

The fuel mods are required no matter what you do so you can right them in stone.

Those cheap 5.0 mustangs anit all they're crack up to be. Buddy at work just picked a 87 up for $1700 (with parts for MAF conversion and other goodies) and is now spending another $3500 to get it running (plus strokers, bore, heads, cam an intake); it blew all the coolant through the motor/exhaust the day after he bought it.

I'd like to see a SPI SC, wouldn't that just require a custom lower?

The fuel mods are required no matter what you do so you can right them in stone.

It is a little bit more custom work than that, and frankly, not worth the time. It would be a neat project, but you need someone who is really into it and just wants something unique.

In terms of that 87 your friend just picked up, 3,500 is not bad to get a fully functional V8 car. 1700 is a steal if it is in good shape anyways. Plus, throw another 1,500 at it and you have a track car.

SSM sells an intake to mount an M112 blower onto the splitport 3.8, but its inverse, i.e. no intercooler, and you will have to have an aftermarket hood. its good for a small boost in hp, but leaves you with practically no headroom. plumbing a methanol injection system into it would be ok, but then you would be stuck refilling a meth tank constantly.

that is a slightly cheaper option though, and requires less work.

What about the crank or without a IC won't be a real issue?

It is a little bit more custom work than that, and frankly, not worth the time. It would be a neat project, but you need someone who is really into it and just wants something unique.

In terms of that 87 your friend just picked up, 3,500 is not bad to get a fully functional V8 car. 1700 is a steal if it is in good shape anyways. Plus, throw another 1,500 at it and you have a track car.
I know just mention that those cheap cars can get real expensive real quick. Will end up being a 331, so I know costing a bit more than a stock rebuild. Personally I think all he need was a new lower intake.

the splitport engines can handle a little more power, not a huge issue there. the crank pulley and jackshaft accessory bracket will have to be swapped over also.

i just finished the swap on my 96. you can use the mustang single port heads,but i talked to some guy (who had 3 super coupes in front of his house) and told him about the swap i was doing and he told me to use the super coupe heads because they were better flowing being made for a supercharger. the biggest problem i had was the water pump. everyone i talked to said change the front cover well i went to advance and had them pull both gaskets to check them out and they were different so i didnt go that route i just modified the w/p off the mustang to work with some j.b. weld and a 90 fitting from home depot. then i had to worry about re-routing heater hoses, using the mustang w/p left me 1 water outlet short so after looking at it for a day and bitching about it another day i changed the coolant sensor around and added an outlet in its place. another problem was a brake line the lower i/c pipe hits this and bends it luckily it didnt pinch mine but be careful not to pinch yours these were only some problems i had. that being said, im not telling u what to do but if i was you i would swap in a 302 or sell and buy a stang with a 302 you can make alot more power with it for little money and have the v8 exhaust tone. imo 4.6s are to expensive to mod. believe me i am slapping myself in the head and saying shoulda bought a v8 right now the mustang is quick dont get me wrong but mine is for sale because it dont run like i thought it would when i was doing the swap

would run great if it were built as a total package. the 240hp that those 4.6 gt's are lucky to put to the ground is quite a bit for them, i'm sure a round 250 and some decent gears would propel a mustang chassis well into the 13's.

like i said before, it would cost him just as much to do a STOCK v8 swap, and net nearly no gain. the splitport 3.8's are already rated at 180 stock. another 20 is all his 2grand is going to net him.

and with this, he knows what has been done, knows that it is most importantly reliable, and is a complete, well executed package.

would run great if it were built as a total package. the 240hp that those 4.6 gt's are lucky to put to the ground is quite a bit for them, i'm sure a round 250 and some decent gears would propel a mustang chassis well into the 13's.

like i said before, it would cost him just as much to do a STOCK v8 swap, and net nearly no gain. the splitport 3.8's are already rated at 180 stock. another 20 is all his 2grand is going to net him.

and with this, he knows what has been done, knows that it is most importantly reliable, and is a complete, well executed package.

i was just saying i think the 4.6s are expensive to mod vs the 5.0. and yes you can mod the v6 to hang with a gt but you can also do the same mods to a v8 and have even more power. im with you i wouldnt pay $2000 for 20 horse. you can get the m90 swap alot cheaper than 2grand though if you do your own work. you can pick up an entire sc engine for around $500 at a scrapyard around here, buy a head gasket set for $120 and add another $100 for misc. things and do work.imo still alot for an extra 20hp.
ebay sells a turbo kit from jdm comes with everything except turbo manifolds for $850 shipped i will say probly $350 to have turbo manifolds made $130 for fuel pump, $300 for bigger injectors and $600 for a dyno tune providing you do ur own work and nothing gets broke that comes to $2230 depending on how much boost you run and your tune your looking at gains id say 100-150hp
another suggestion is super six motor sports sells a power pack for $2050 for 99+ 3.8 that give you up to 70 horse comes with ported upper and lower intakes, heads and a cam
this list goes on for days but i have 1 more suggestion why not buy another engine from a scrap yard thats blowed up and tear it down and build it to your standards that way you have the stang to drive and an engine to build for it but keep in mind if you do decide to go v8 rear end,transmission,ecu,wiring harness, mounts 5.0 you have to change the k frame and i think suspension has to be changed also but a perk to doing a v8 swap is you still have your v6 vin for insurance:)

i was just saying i think the 4.6s are expensive to mod vs the 5.0. and yes you can mod the v6 to hang with a gt but you can also do the same mods to a v8 and have even more power. im with you i wouldnt pay $2000 for 20 horse. you can get the m90 swap alot cheaper than 2grand though if you do your own work. you can pick up an entire sc engine for around $500 at a scrapyard around here, buy a head gasket set for $120 and add another $100 for misc. things and do work.imo still alot for an extra 20hp.
ebay sells a turbo kit from jdm comes with everything except turbo manifolds for $850 shipped i will say probly $350 to have turbo manifolds made $130 for fuel pump, $300 for bigger injectors and $600 for a dyno tune providing you do ur own work and nothing gets broke that comes to $2230 depending on how much boost you run and your tune your looking at gains id say 100-150hp
another suggestion is super six motor sports sells a power pack for $2050 for 99+ 3.8 that give you up to 70 horse comes with ported upper and lower intakes, heads and a cam
this list goes on for days but i have 1 more suggestion why not buy another engine from a scrap yard thats blowed up and tear it down and build it to your standards that way you have the stang to drive and an engine to build for it but keep in mind if you do decide to go v8 rear end,transmission,ecu,wiring harness, mounts 5.0 you have to change the k frame and i think suspension has to be changed also but a perk to doing a v8 swap is you still have your v6 vin for insurance:)

you're retarded.

just use nawssss, you'll get all the power you need, and it makes everything blurry when you activate it.

Back