Possible Bad Clutch

ace7wild

Hi all, proud new owner of a '92 SC 5-speed. I've had the car for only 3 weeks know and have already dumped over $1,000 into it! Pretty much had the whole front end suspension replaced (driver side inner tie rod, upper & lower control arms, and ball joints) A week after that a fuel leak. Plastic line near gas tank was rubbing the inside of the body and rubbed a hole right into the main pressure line. Now yesterday I started to notice that my clutch feels different. It feels as if the clutch is engaging with a lot less pedal return. Only have to bring foot back about 1.5"-2" before it starts to engage. From what I have read on this forum so far, is that it looks like I need to get my clutch replaced! I'm sure some of you have had this done on your SC's. How much should I expect to pay for getting a new clutch installed?

I love my new SC but this thing is starting to become a money pit!! I think the car was barely driven and wasn't used as a daily driver like I plan to in the summer months. (a lil better gas mileage than my Jeep Cherokee w/ 3" lift and 31" tires!) The car is in excellent shape, body is near perfect and the underbody is even better. Considering I'm from Michigan and the car was apparently in Florida for most of it's life, any vehicle's underbody looks 10 times better than a Michigan driven vehicle. Oh ya, the odometer gears are bad too, already ordered those from Supercoupeperformance and plan on installing the new ones this weekend!!

This forum has helped me out a lot with learning about the SC's and figuring out what my many issues are with my new SC. Thanks a bunch!!

ACE

a center duel friction from summit runs around $330 or so. check your clutch fluid res, it almost sounds like a slave going bad.

I want to say I know a decent amount about cars but....where exactly is this located? I'm thinking under dash above clutch pedal? or I could be waaayyy off!

You might have a leaking slave cylider that goes inside the trans.

The reservoir is next to the brake reservoir its a little white cap.

Try bleeding the system before getting too far ahead of you things. The bleeder screw on the side of trans you can locate it by following the pressure fluid line.

I checked the slave cylinder reservoir by and there is only a little amount of fluid in the bottom of the reservoir. Is it safe to say I can go ahead and top it off and see if that helps? or do I have to go thru the bleeding process?

You have a leak somethere I wanna bet. YOu can rebleed it so see if it helps and see how long that last.

Back