Upgrade

blwnbird

What upgrades are recommended for a stock setup. I have 92 5sp car and it is bone stock. What are few "minor" upgrades that you recommend doing. Best bang for the buck.

Hmmmm...underdrive pulleys, Cold Air Kit with K&N filter, may some larger injectors - 42lb, late model Supercharger.

I wouldnt recommend under drive pulleys as the super coupes cooling system is marginal at best. Also oil coated air filters can bleed oil mist onto the sensitive maf.

I'd recommend a Mp inlet plenum and 94/95 blower or better for the most bang for your buck as well as a better flowing exhaust.

What upgrades are recommended for a stock setup. I have 92 5sp car and it is bone stock. What are few "minor" upgrades that you recommend doing. Best bang for the buck.

Best bang for the buck and easy to do mods, are a set of aluminum underdrive pulleys and a 5% overdrive jackshaft pulley.

David

David,

You yourself have a car with an overheating problem and you still recommend the underdrive pulleys? They significantly reduce the water pump impeller speed.

Best bang for the buck and easy to do mods, are a set of aluminum underdrive pulleys and a 5% overdrive jackshaft pulley.

David

I'd add a 8" permacool IC fan and replace the resonator to David's list and call it a day.

Most SC's that have a cooling problem are due to a very large FMIC such as the MPFMIC and it's usually only when they try to run the AC on a very hot day. My old SC only had a 5% SC pulley, under drive pulleys, and exhaust upgrades and they really livened up that car.

Getting your car to run at 200degrees instead of 220 is going to gain you alot more horsepower than the 2hp you will gain by underdriving your waterpump. Do some reading at stewart components they have busted this myth time and time again.

I would keep the stock pulleys on and get a tune to lower you stock fan speeds to work with a 180 degree thermostat. I have 200,000 miles on my tbird and have never had a headgasket issue. I do not think it is a coincidence.

Everyone have different personalitys and mine is on the safe side I guess!

2hp you will gain by underdriving your waterpump. Do some reading at stewart components they have busted this myth time and time again.

I'll have to disagree with you. In my case the under drive pulleys took more time off my 1/4 times than 3.73's. :eek:

I will agree with you on one point, but it is a costly upgrade. Spending ~$5 on a thermostat, $275 on a QH chip, and $??? for a tune (not just a mail order tune, a real in person tune) is always a reliable, safe, and good performance upgrade.

David,

You yourself have a car with an overheating problem and you still recommend the underdrive pulleys? They significantly reduce the water pump impeller speed.

My car's overheating problems were a result of a damaged radiator core...now it runs very cool. Since you are almost always above 1000 rpms when driving, I don't think underdrives slow down the water pump enough to make a differince on cooling or battery charging. I've had underdrives on my car from the time it was stock and I still think they are one of the best bang for the buck mods for an SC.

BTW, I don't think coolant flow is the issue with our cooling system as much as it is the size of the radiator and the amount of airflow.

David

Getting your car to run at 200degrees instead of 220 is going to gain you alot more horsepower than the 2hp you will gain by underdriving your waterpump. Do some reading at stewart components they have busted this myth time and time again.

I would keep the stock pulleys on and get a tune to lower you stock fan speeds to work with a 180 degree thermostat. I have 200,000 miles on my tbird and have never had a headgasket issue. I do not think it is a coincidence.

Everyone have different personalitys and mine is on the safe side I guess!

Aluminum underdrives on the average SC motor are good for an honest 15 HP.

As long as I have the stock ford radiator I'm gonna stick with the stock pulleys. If you had the cooling capacity of a griffin then it wouldn't scare me as much.

I agree with Dave's mods if you wanna drag the car.
If its a DD stick with stock as Pearl Bird suggests.
You can do a fan switch mod keeping stock tune and 195 stat and still get ~200* water temps.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82355

The suggestions I gave are intended for a bone stock daily driver. Some people aren't comfortable with switching to underdrives because of something they heard from a guy who heard something from another guy. Don't know of anyone who has actually installed a set on an SC, that has had a cooling problem afterward.

David

on a dd, personally, i wouldnt do anything but an exhaust, IC fan and maybe a 5% OD pulley. clean up the interior and such and drive it.

Also oil coated air filters can bleed oil mist onto the sensitive maf.

From what I have read and in my experience this is usually due to the owner over oiling the filter. If you feel the need to worry about this, just remember to clean the sensor 500 miles after you clean and oil the filter.

If you hunt around enough you can get a set of aluminum stock size pullies which is what I run on my car.

I don't think there is much of a difference in power gains between underdrives aluminum pully's and stock sized aluminum pully's. Both of them will give a net increase by shedding rotational weight, and in fact, may balance out the small little difference once the rpm's are up since the stock sized are smaller than the underdrives.

Fraser

Back