3.8 twin turbo setup

mot19

So ive decided to retire my SC from its daily pizza delivering in favor of a nice
gas saver. This will give me the downtime i need to do what i really want with
my ride. A 5spd swap and twin turbos in favor of the M90. I have a few
questions number wise that searching was a bit hard for. Maybe some of you
vets will know them right off the top of your head.

1. How much boost can the stock bottom end take? This is for future
reference.

2. What intake manifold and throttle body should i be looking for? Consider the fact that i am going to mount the turbos in place of the AC and
Alternator in similar fashion to the roush 3.8 TT build.

3. Im planning to run only 10-12 psi, for any reason would i need to upgrade
injectors and or fuel pump?

4. Since im going to be running similar boost numbers for any reason would i be wanting to upgrade my MAF and or Throttle Body?

5. Are there any known front facing headers for the 3.8?

My real goal in this build is to make simply around 275 HP and 375 LB of
Torque. Some would ask why such little power increase for such a massive
project but the idea is to make much more power with the same stresses
on the internals and less rotational stress on the motor with an increase in MPG.

consider stock PSI..And that the SC itself takes a bit to turn...

I'd say go with 17 or so PSI and youll be making a heck of allot more hp with less stress on your crank

With a mild cam, ported heads and using an 94/95 m90 with a little bit of OD, you can easily hit 275 rwhp with a stock bottom end and not come close to "stressing" it.... in fact you'd probably hit 300 easily enough. You can also get good mileage into the mid 25's with that setup on the highway.

Generally folks want to go to twin turbo setups to get a lot more power, but in fact in your case with your specs, you will actually be "downgrading" the motor so to speak. We have one guy here running over 500rwhp with a single turbo.

Also, there has been folks go over 400rwhp with the stock bottom end. These motors are very stout, and one of the biggest keys to keeping the motor together is the tune.

Fraser

Back