So what just happened???

kneedragger25

So I was driving down the road going home and all of a sudden my SC died so I pulled over and she fired right up but now the Antilock and brake light are on and the brake pedal is rock hard. What happened?

I would check the vacuum hose going to the brake booster, or you may have a bad brake booster that will not hold vacuum. My bet is on a problem with the vaccuum.

Mark

Sounds like 2 seperate issues.

The brake light stuff is from a bad ABS unit.

Do a search for ABS to Conventional swap and you can read all about the ABS issues our cars have!

Since the car DIED and then the brake problem started ... I would check your ignition switch.

Since the car DIED and then the brake problem started ... I would check your ignition switch.

+1

If this is a 90 car, it won't have a vacuum brake-booster.

My 90 had the exact same problem (except it never died) when the ignition switch went out. I also had problems with exterior lights, amoung other things.

If you have the factory ignition switch (mounted to the underside of the steering column under the plastic if you didn't know) that would be my first guess. They are pot metal and plastice. They have 4 tabs that hold it together and everytime you turn the key, it tries to push apart. They use 2 torx bolts that have a point in the center. real easy to swap out and less then $20. Replace that and then post up.

Do disconnect the battery before you play with the ignition switch. High-amperage going through there!

An easy way to tell if this is the issue, turn the key to on and grab the wiring harness from under the dash and do the jiggle test. You should be able to hear the relays going crazy and dash lights turning off and on.

An easy way to tell if this is the issue, turn the key to on and grab the wiring harness from under the dash and do the jiggle test. You should be able to hear the relays going crazy and dash lights turning off and on.

If you don't hear anything, try sticking your tongue onto the ignition switch connector.

well the ignition switch and cylinder lock were replaced when I first got the car (august) but I did remove the ABS relay and jumped the terminal on the harness and the pump kickes on so I just have a bad relay, kragen ordered me one for 35$ with lifetime warrenty. I really wish I have conventional brakes and not this intergrated system. a master cylinder can be swapped in less than 30 min and bleed in 10 but trying to figure out if a pump went bad, if the accumulator is leaking or if a darn fuse or relay went out is more work then needed.

so I installed the new relay but it does click on and off like it should, Where does the power come from to energize the coil on the relay Im thinking Im not getting power to the coil but I am getting power to the larger post that is the power side of the switch. am I correct in saying the two smaller blades are to coil and the three large blades are the switch.

HELP Please!

Does anyone wonder why this is the greatest SC board on earth!?
Yes I do! Did I post in the wrong place? http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113455

Did I ask a question everyone thinks is too stupid and deserves no answer?
I do know my way around an engine. I have done a full restoration of 1970 AMX. I just sold my 1984 SVO Mustang so I could have some money to give this 1995 SC 5sd the TLC it needs.

I have a habit of taking apart more than is needed to solve a problem. I want to avoid that with this car. From the 100's of hours that I have spent on reading in this forum, getting parts for this car, can be an adventure. If I had found the information I was looking for, searching this site, I wouldn't be asking.
Thanks,
-Dave

birdsc.jpg

So what gives the Pump relay power. In more detail the coils on the relay? the pump works and I have power on the switch side on the relay. But I have no power to switch the relay on and off. I assume The pressure warning switch see no pump pressure and sends power to energive the coil once pressure is built then it stop and so on. am i correct in looking towards that switch or am I way off?

WOW I dodnt know the pic was that big Sorry

Last edited:
Yes, if you have power on the high-current sde of the relay, but the trigger side never activates, then look into the pressure switch.

so now im confused on mt way to work today the brakes started working fine and still running fine uptill now. im still thinking the switch is going bad tho.

Well, I can't really say what the exact problem is. However, I can tell you that the relay is available from Standard Motor Products (SMP). Part RY223. Try RockAuto.com.

Also, check the 35th Anniversary Thunderbird Registry (www.35thatr.org) for ABS troubleshooting info.

Back