Timken Wheel bearing help

Micahdogg

Rock Auto is listing:

Timken Set 49 = Differential bearings

Timken Set 36 = Rear wheel bearings

I think they have this backwards. If I want to replace my rear wheel bearing/race isn't Set 49 the right part?

From everything I've found, it appears backwards. Timken's own cross-reference shows National P/N 513058 to cross to SET49.

Errrr...bearing/race? They are a sealed unit. Easy to do too. Pop the snap ring off the back of the knuckle (you have to take the knuckle off too) and press the hub out. Then from the other side, press out the bearing. It took about 4000lbs to pop the bearing loose from the spindle last time I did one. I thought it was going to break the top off of it. when it popped, it scared the crap out of me and I could see the pressure release off of the spindle.

SWS

4000lbs? Geeze, what's the point of the snap ring then....decoration?

So you are saying a guy with a torch and a big socket can't finagle the old bearings out? I was positive that freezing the bearings and torching the spindle would get the new ones in.

4000lbs? Geeze, what's the point of the snap ring then....decoration?

So you are saying a guy with a torch and a big socket can't finagle the old bearings out? I was positive that freezing the bearings and torching the spindle would get the new ones in.

You're going to need a press......

Install is possible with a long threaded rod, nuts, and washers. However, I am not sure if you will be able to crack loose the old bearings that way or not. Good luck!

X2. You WILL need a press to yank the old one out. Even if you are good with a torch, aluminum is kind of particular about the heat and does not really give you warning before it melts. It takes a good amount to pop it loose but as Mazza stated, you may (if you are already at a press why) be able to do it with a long rod.

SWS

Anyone know what SET47 is? I got a couple of those.

I also got a couple JLM104948's, but these are bearing only with no races.

I told RockAuto that I needed SET49 so these are all getting returned.

Back