The first step, is admitting you have a problem...

95_XR7

So, I'm here to admit I have a problem. :eek:
I am addicted to cars. :(

I bought the '95 without ever driving the car, and ONLY seeing pictures knowing that it would be a year, or possibly two before I would even get to drive it more than a day or two. I've spent a pretty penny on parts even though I won't be home for another six months.

The '94? I'm still upset about parting it out. I have the car sitting in a garage taking up space..and just refusing to sell much of anything off of it. It's kind of depressing really.

Anyways. I sold my LS to my dad, who's using it for business trips. And yeah. I miss the car, even though I sold it after I left the States. So, I've been looking at a new LS. And well...I want to buy one. I was looking at an '04 LSE with 68K on it. Lowered, HID's, Jaguar wheels, fully loaded with heated seats and Nav. But then I remember I won't be able to drive it and force myself not to.

Heck, I've had to force myself not to a few times. But yeah...
I need a car to daily drive when I get back to the states, and can't make up my mind, and want to spend much more than I should.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't see how some of you draw the line where you do. :(

-Corey

Last edited:
Consult with your loved ones before pulling a trigger on a purchase. Sometimes an opinion would keep you in check every once in a while.

Trust me, I fall in a similar category.

Consult with your loved ones before pulling a trigger on a purchase. Sometimes an opinion would keep you in check every once in a while.

Trust me, I fall in a similar category.

True, having a spouse can help keep you in check.
But, what if you don't? Even asking the family, they'll tell me to go for it. They are all gearheads as well.

And I know you do.

Luckily, I didn't pull the trigger on an '03 Cobra I saw awhile back. It was a black vert. :eek:

-Corey

I think I would hold out for another good deal that is closer to your return date.

Then do does exactly the opposite of what they give for an opinion, just like Rico here. :eek:

My wife's daily driver is a 04 LS. I borrow her car every chance I get.

They are nice cars aren't they? I regretted selling mine before I even finalized it. Atleast it stayed in the family, but I would love to find a newer low mileage one with some modifications done to it.

I think I would hold out for another good deal that is closer to your return date.

Then do does exactly the opposite of what they give for an opinion, just like Rico here. :eek:

It's what I'm going to do. Pretty much everything I make over here is being dumped into an account with me only spending about $150-200 a month.
But don't you ever catch yourself day dreaming about what this car would look like with these particular mods and so forth?

-Corey

P.S. What's everyone's opinions of the BMW M3's (More importantly, the E46) ;)

It's what I'm going to do. Pretty much everything I make over here is being dumped into an account with me only spending about $150-200 a month.
But don't you ever catch yourself day dreaming about what this car would look like with these particular mods and so forth?

Sounds like you have the right idea so far. Maybe you should consider splitting the account and setting up a money market account or something like that, where the funds are not as liquid? Then you might be able to put that larger chunk of change out of mind for a while, so you aren't as tempted.

Sounds like you have the right idea so far. Maybe you should consider splitting the account and setting up a money market account or something like that, where the funds are not as liquid? Then you might be able to put that larger chunk of change out of mind for a while, so you aren't as tempted.

Actually, I've been talking about doing that for awhile and was just thinking about it. Not sure the best way to go about that though.

If I may say something, those financial classes the military makes you go to...well...they are BS.

-Corey

I would wait until you get home and look around for the vehicle you want. The LS are decent cars. The BMW M3 will cost way more to purchase let alone Maintain. If you are hard on vehicles like I was when I was your age, I would skip the E46. It is far from bulletproof... I bought a 540i back in 2004 just because it was a great deal and only had 32k on it. Black on Black. Nice car that was driven by a friend of mines wife its entire life. Unfortunately the warranty was just ending on it and several major problems surfaced. I am a mechanic and fixed them all, but still ended up spending over 3k in less than 6 months on it. The parts are just out rageous for those German cars...It was still a great car when it was well and ran very good. I even made some money on the deal when I unloaded it, like I knew I would. As far as the previous suggestion about getting into lifted trucks goes. You want to spend some serious money? You can spend 8-10k easily on lift, wheels, and tires after purchasing the rediculously priced truck....Then there is twice the fuel costs and higher insurance. Love to have the money I pissed away in that deparment.... Money markets and IRA's are smart choices. Especially at your age.

I would wait until you get home and look around for the vehicle you want. The LS are decent cars. The BMW M3 will cost way more to purchase let alone Maintain. If you are hard on vehicles like I was when I was your age, I would skip the E46. It is far from bulletproof... I bought a 540i back in 2004 just because it was a great deal and only had 32k on it. Black on Black. Nice car that was driven by a friend of mines wife its entire life. Unfortunately the warranty was just ending on it and several major problems surfaced. I am a mechanic and fixed them all, but still ended up spending over 3k in less than 6 months on it. The parts are just out rageous for those German cars...It was still a great car when it was well and ran very good. I even made some money on the deal when I unloaded it, like I knew I would. As far as the previous suggestion about getting into lifted trucks goes. You want to spend some serious money? You can spend 8-10k easily on lift, wheels, and tires after purchasing the rediculously priced truck....Then there is twice the fuel costs and higher insurance. Love to have the money I pissed away in that deparment.... Money markets and IRA's are smart choices. Especially at your age.

kudos to that last part, if its just sitting now why not let a secure bet use it to make some money and give you a chunk. BUUUTTTT if it was me I would buy that red SC you were looking at for 6500, that bish was sexyyyyyy

oh and if its a 05ish e49 nawwww get the older looking one that they put on the cover of Need for Speed Most Wanted. They look way better.

Last edited:
Back