R12 to R134a conversion

racer02sl

Would like to convert my AC system from R12 to R134a. Are R12 to R134a conversion kits universal, or do I need to find one specifically for a 93 Thunderbird SC? Where can I buy the kit? After reading a few threads, it looks like there are some kits I should stay away from because of leaks…

We used a universal conversion kit from Autozone on my old 35th and had no problems. You will need to remove all of the old refrigerant by running a vacuum pump on the system to completely evacuate it. You'll need a set of gauges when you refill it with R134.

I used an over the counter AC recharge kit in my 92 and it still works good.....

Definitely get the system vacuumed out first.....

The ester oil in retrofit will mix with the old mineral oil. I would be worried about quantity but looks like some have used the kits with good results.

That is correct.....

My 92 lost it's R-12 charge and I converted it over to 134.....

Just changed the fittings and installed the 134.....

It blows cold when cruising, but warms up a little when sitting in traffic.....:(

I am pretty sure that is due to the fact that I didn't vacuum the system out....

I could have put another can of 134 in it if I had.....:rolleyes:

If you want to maintain the cooling efficiency of your R12 system, you can simply use Duracool. It works better than R134 and it won't leak like R134 will.

Went with a $45 retro fit R12 to R134a conversion. With the compressor on, it shows 25 psi, and about 45 psi when the compressor kicks off. With MaxAC, the cabin air temperature was between 30 and 40 deg.F. I’ll check the pressure in a few days to make sure I don’t have a leak, but I’d say it was a success.

Back