No radio power?

ricardoa1

So while trying to get my the 35th started over I went thru a phase where I needed to swap batteries back and forth due to the original battery being discharged and not holding. I thought it was going to to work so i kept charging it ona trickle but when I went to put in to start it did not have crank power. So thru the removal and installation of this battery I though I had fried the new aftermarket radio. I left the keys on the ON position so I figured damn I fried it when i put the leads on the battery. But I took the aftermaket unit out and installed the original factory radio from my blue car..Long time ago it was working flawless and I tried it and still no power on this unit either. So leads me to belive that something is up elsewhere. I checked the 15amp fuse but looks fine under the dash, where else does this wire run to?

My brothers car has a similar problem with power up but if he turns on his headlights they work, can someone post a diagram on an 90 wiring schematics.. Im trying to see if this problem is somewhere else.

Check the fuse in the power distribution block under the hood, I have had this happen on a couple of my 89-93 Tbirds before.

I had a 91 and a 93 LX have no power to the radio, took me forever to figure out and it was a fuse in the PD box.

Oh crap the 5 amp fuse in there was blown. I need to find a new one somewhere and ill report....

What else does this fuse affect? Just the radio?

I love this site, thanks for he hint.

wow!!!

had the same problem no memory to the radio tried many things and you say that there is a fuse for the radio memory!!! wow im happy right now i wish thats my problem too!!! look like to be the same thing was bizare while playing with headlight

Im having problems out my radio in my 5spd car.

While getting the whole dash swapped, i just pulled the orginal radio harness and ran it back after i got the dash in.

Everything else works inside and has power expect the radio.

Oh, its premium sound with 8in sub in trunk

I am having a problem with the JBL radio in my 92.....

When I turn on the headlights, the radio goes off for a few minutes....

When this happens, only the display goes out....

All other lights on the radio stays on.....:confused:

If I turn the headlights on right after I start the engine, it doesn't do it.....

Radio

Same problem. 5 amp Memory Fuse was blown in the PD box. Replaced and radio worked. Remember, there is usually a reason the fuse blows. Mine ended up being a the cd player went bad and tripped the fuse. Then the radio doesn't work either. I sent my radio to Paul in NY and he is fixing it as we speak and updating my radio/cd player with new components that are know to go bad. We all know you can't buy these radios "new" anymore. For the same money, I can keep my stock set-up and not go after market. I am happy!! Can't wait to get it back and hear the difference.

Just put in a 10A fuse.

This happened to me as well. I went to a local radio installer and he laughed, went to his tool box, grabbed a 10A fuse, opened the hood and replaced the blown fuse and wouldn't take any money. He said he has put hundreds of 10A in MN12's over the years.

What was weird is the aftermarket stereo had been in the car for 6-7 years (car sat untouched for 5 years) and I drove it for 3-4 months before it finally blew.

Aftermarket Radio works, But the 94-95 radio did not have sound weird. Not that it matters at this point. Now I can plug in my phone again....:D Winding down the check list of things to do. :)

Just put in a 10A fuse.
What was weird is the aftermarket stereo had been in the car for 6-7 years (car sat untouched for 5 years) and I drove it for 3-4 months before it finally blew.

It's possible that the aftermarket radio is wired up incorrectly and has something with a higher load on it connected to the memory line.

When my fuse blew the stereo would light up but the screen was blank, it wouldn't play the radio or or CD.

It's possible that the aftermarket radio is wired up incorrectly and has something with a higher load on it connected to the memory line.

The installer claimed he had to do this on every aftermarket install in a MN12, it was standard procedure for him.

My white 1990 came with an aftermarket stereo and it did have the 10A installed.

still have the problem

my 5 amps fuse was blown!!! changed it and the problem stayed... but looked in mitchell plan and saw that i had the wrong wire color on the acc/memory aftermarket radio wire the plan said light green/purple so i looked this wire after changing the fuse and ''had hot at all the time'' activity! so i plugged everything correctly and still no memory :( didnt checked if i still had problem with when i open lights probably not because i had the memory plugged to a wire that go to ''interior lightning'' like said on the plan! so ill look further and edit this post if i find my trouble!

Back