Suggestions on removing birch tree sap off paint

shawpdx1

I parked it under a dam birch tree.......I know this is the wrong form. tried detailing forum said to use mineral spirits does not work!! open to any suggestions other then repainting the car. the paint was perfect

I'd thy the universal solvent first-----soap and water gingerly applied with lots of elbow grease...most of the tree sap I've run into was water soluable---mostly depends on how baked on and sun dried it is...try laying a damp cloth over it and keep it soaked for a while and see if it loosens it's grip..............Dan

Did not bake , No real sun yet in Oregon. Lesson learned. Its not just in one Area its all over the car mostly on top obviously . Its going to take patience and time I guess. Drag I have enough mechanical work I want to do besides deal with this............ But its the way it goes I guess.

Appreciate suggestion

go to autozone and get the bug and tar remover, it works great and its a type of wax to make your ride shine ive used it several times

I parked it under a dam birch tree.......I know this is the wrong form. tried detailing forum said to use mineral spirits does not work!! open to any suggestions other then repainting the car. the paint was perfect

More correctly, I said try using Dawn dish soap in water, THEN mineral spirits, THEN claybar and wax. Different saps respond differently, depending on species. One or more of my three suggestions will work. Nowhere did I say that it would be EASY. You gotta watch the trees...

JD

I have just been calling around looking for some birch wood so I can do some smoken. I want to barbque up a hunk of brisket. So if it has realy pissed you off sent it to me and I will burn it for you. I can even send you pictures just to make it worth while.
Let me know:D

Thanks All for suggestions, worst case I'll just DA it down and paint it Black. its coming off a little at a time, It has not been out of the garage for 3 years. Divorce caused me to yank it out. picked a bad place to park it for a few weeks. anyway thanks

Kerosene?

Thanks All for suggestions, worst case I'll just DA it down and paint it Black. its coming off a little at a time, It has not been out of the garage for 3 years. Divorce caused me to yank it out. picked a bad place to park it for a few weeks. anyway thanks

Way back in the old ages, when I was 16, my first car was a 1963 Ford
Galaxie 500 2 dr. hardtop. Champagne Gold with a matching vinyl interior.
My, how I would love to have that car now in the same condition.
But, I digress.
This car had to sit under a HUGE cottonwood tree.
In the spring, this tree had these god-awful sticky seed pod
covers that would get all over the Galaxie.
I would use KEROSENE on a soft cloth, & it would wipe off
the sticky residue pretty easy!
I don't know if it will work for your birch tree sap problem or not,
but it may be worth a try.
Thanks!
Jeff Parker
Columbus, Ohio

Back