PDA

View Full Version : Canton Coolant Tank

Toms-SC
04-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Hey all,

For almost two years I have looked for a replacement coolant overflow tank. No old stock exists and no aftermarket reproductions are available. I contacted Canton Racing Products with my concerns and believe or not they got back to me. :eek:

I'll be sending them a sample for a quote. If it looks like they can make them for somewhat of a reasonable price I'll arrange a group buy. This will be for early model SC's, with bung for the coolant sensor, and fitting in the OEM location.

I'll update this thread as more develops.

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=8050

Canton_Nick is now registered on the forums. He represents Canton. A group buy will be started shortly for the overflow tank @ $350 a person. Stay tuned for details to follow.

Group Purchase for the Canton coolant tanks

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114235

XR7 Dave
04-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Be sure to specify that you want a visual fluid level reference.

Toms-SC
04-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Be sure to specify that you want a visual fluid level reference.

Will do. Are there any other issues like this I should be aware of? :cool:

rzimmerl
04-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Just signing for interest, should be a nice piece if it makes it to production.

Jeff Bratton
04-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I'd be interested as well... I'd be concerned with yellowing, wondering if there is such a material that could be used to maybe pervent this from happen. But any avent, this sounds great... Thanks for looking into this!!!:cool:

rzimmerl
04-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Jeff,

The tanks will be fabricated aluminum not plastic.

Tom,
If you need help stateside let me know.

Toms-SC
04-15-2010, 08:26 PM
I should have mentioned that in the thread. It will be fabbed in aluminum.

baer198
04-15-2010, 08:27 PM
interested !

Jeff Bratton
04-15-2010, 08:30 PM
:rolleyes:haha, funny that you mentioned that... cause I didn't visit the website until after I posted.... I think that would be even nicer.

Sweet!

TSC89
04-15-2010, 09:07 PM

David Neibert
04-15-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm also interested in this part.

David

Kurt K
04-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Me too, but someone may have to remind me, since my thread subscription notifications haven't been working for more than 2 years.

Brad2296
04-16-2010, 10:30 AM
i'd be interested if the price is right. my question though is how would you get a visual level if it's fabricated or constructed of aluminum?

ricardoa1
04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
i'd be interested if the price is right. my question though is how would you get a visual level if it's fabricated or constructed of aluminum?

Low level sensor. ;)

rzimmerl
04-16-2010, 11:47 AM

See the sight gauge used in this Corvette tank
http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=80-224

David Neibert
04-16-2010, 11:49 AM

They would normally locate two bungs on the side of the tank about 6 inches apart (vertically), install some 90 degree fittings pointing at each other and clamp on a clear hose between the two fittings. Fluid in the tank goes inside the hose, so you can see the level. Picture is pretty small, but that's what they did on this tank for a corvette.

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/images/products/80224.jpg

David

Sampo
04-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Count me in.:cool:

Toms-SC
04-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Just an update. I'm trying to get a sample factory unit to send to Canton. If a member here wants to send it in on my behalf it'll speed things up by 3 weeks. Throw me a PM.

Payton
04-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Interested as well. Let me know when it's ready

Toms-SC
04-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Update: Got to hand it to rzimmerl for stepping up and helping me out with a sample unit. He'll be sending it into Canton on my behalf to help speed things up.

I requested a visible level gauge and group buy pricing when the quote gets back.

rzimmerl
04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
I should have the tank shipped tomorrow, if not Friday afternoon. It is a mint condition tank, no cracks, or yellowing that I am sending, and it will be returned back to me. It does have the coolant level sensor installed so they are aware that it is there.

David Neibert
04-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Update: Got to hand it to rzimmerl for stepping up and helping me out with a sample unit. He'll be sending it into Canton on my behalf to help speed things up.

I requested a visible level gauge and group buy pricing when the quote gets back.

Tom,

It would also be nice if the tank was compatiple with the MP cold air divider.

David

rzimmerl
04-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Tom,

It would also be nice if the tank was compatiple with the MP cold air divider.

David

David,

What's your concerns on this? My MP divider fits well with the stock tank. I have kinda taken charge on this since I'm in the states, and Tom is assisting. I will see if they are going to make a prototype tank for a fit check. I am planning to send pictures of the stock tank installed to the contact when I ship out the stock tank.

David Neibert
04-22-2010, 03:04 PM
David,

What's your concerns on this? My MP divider fits well with the stock tank. I have kinda taken charge on this since I'm in the states, and Tom is assisting. I will see if they are going to make a prototype tank for a fit check. I am planning to send pictures of the stock tank installed to the contact when I ship out the stock tank.

Ryan,

My concern is that the tank Canton is likely to build will not follow the exact shape and contours of the stock plastic tank, and if they don't know about those critical dimensions where the MP cold air divider wraps around the coolant tank, they may not fit correctly.

If we make Canton aware of those areas that need to remain the same dimensions, then there won't be a problem using it with a stock intake or the MP intake. Just saying we need to make them aware of which dimensions are critical and which ones are not.

David

rzimmerl
04-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Understood. I have my MP divider installed so it will be in the pictures. I will photoshop the pictures to show the areas of concern. I will then post the pictures up here for everyone to get a chance to double check before I email them on to Canton.

ganuolfthegrey
04-24-2010, 04:24 PM
I am intrested also,make sure there is a way to clean the inside out for maintance from time to time.Because they do get dirt on the wall's of the stock one that you can't get to to clean and just hosing is out doesn't get it out.

rzimmerl
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Guys need a sainty check on this. I am providing some information with the stock tank I am shipping on the features we would like. Like the visual level indicator, maintaining the stock locations of the overflow tube, low level sensor, and cap, and to also maintain the stock shape as much as possible. I am also providing a list of the models that this tank will fit for a selling point.

The tanks on the 89-93 Tbird are the same as the 89-90 Cougar, correct?

I contacted Canton this morning, and recieved an RGA to ship the tank. They seemed pretty enthusiastic about the tank.

XxSlowpokexX
05-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Us poor 94-95 guys....

ricardoa1
05-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Us poor 94-95 guys....

If this goes thru I will be using one on my 94 for the Alky reservoir. Thats why I have not persued getting a used one just yet. :o

S_Mazza
05-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Guys need a sainty check on this. I am providing some information with the stock tank I am shipping on the features we would like. Like the visual level indicator, maintaining the stock locations of the overflow tube, low level sensor, and cap, and to also maintain the stock shape as much as possible. I am also providing a list of the models that this tank will fit for a selling point.

The tanks on the 89-93 Tbird are the same as the 89-90 Cougar, correct?

I contacted Canton this morning, and recieved an RGA to ship the tank. They seemed pretty enthusiastic about the tank.

I think that the tank is the same for the Cougar of the same year, but the cutoff point is earlier than 1994. I think it might even be as early as 1991 - because that's when the 5.0 was first offered. After that, didn't they move the coolant tank to the driver's side and the washer fluid reservoir into the bumper area?

oSCar3.8
05-04-2010, 09:14 PM
also interested

95_XR7
05-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Us poor 94-95 guys....

My thoughts exactly. Since I'm going from a polished blower, to a black blower, I need to replace the 'bling' with something.

:(

-Corey

Toms-SC
05-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I see people down in the dumps about the 94-95. Lets see how this one goes; if afterwards there is still interested there is no reason why Canton cannot be contacted again.

rzimmerl
05-19-2010, 01:13 PM
UPDATE 5-19-2010

I have been playing phone tag with Canton this afternoon, and the message I recieved is good news. They have agreed to manufacture the tank and have pricing for single units and as a Group Buy. More details to be posted later.

Kurt K
05-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Sounds great.

Canton_nick
05-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Hello guys,

I just got off of the telephone with Ryan.

We can fabricate these tanks to be EXACTLY like the factory expansion tank in fabbed aluminum.

It will have a sight gauge so you can see the fluid level and it will have the same contours and bends that the factory tank will have.

Unfortunately, because it is such a very intricate design and requires alot of fabrication and extensive welding, purchasing a single unit will be very expensive.

A single unit's price is pretty high(prototype) $650.00

If you guys want to go in on a group buy and purchase 10 or more of them we can make these for half of what the prototype is. 10+ user that want to purchase the price will be $350.00

PM ME for the price. I do not want to seem like i am advertising.

I told ryan there is many ways of going about purchasing this item in bulk.

We can set it up to work out for all of you who would like one.

Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Nick Ansaldi
Canton Racing.

Duffy Floyd
05-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Canton Nick,

If you look at the purpose of this forum you can see you are in exactly the correct place to discuss any products you may have to offer us.

"This forum is designed to allow sellers to discuss new products and services they offer with potential buyers. New products and services can be discussed as well as potential products and services that are being considered by sellers."

Thank you for considering producing products for our cars.

David Neibert
05-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Is someone going to start a thread in the Group Purchase forum with the price and other details ??

David

Canton_nick
05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Canton Nick,

If you look at the purpose of this forum you can see you are in exactly the correct place to discuss any products you may have to offer us.

"This forum is designed to allow sellers to discuss new products and services they offer with potential buyers. New products and services can be discussed as well as potential products and services that are being considered by sellers."

Thank you for considering producing products for our cars.

I just didnt want to cross any boundaries. I am on alot of forums personally and for my company and alot of forums do not like companies to advertise without paying for the advertisement.

I apologize for any mis communication.

Nick Ansaldi
Canton Racing Products.

Canton_nick
05-19-2010, 02:54 PM
The Price is up .

rzimmerl
05-19-2010, 03:07 PM
I will post the Group Purchase tonite in the Group Purchase forum, I'll post a link here to follow.

Toms-SC
05-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Big props to Nick and Ryan for making this happen. Nick thanks for the fantastic turn around time. For a vendor I am surprised. :eek:

Looking forward to the group buy. You've got to pay to play folks.

Canton_nick
05-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Big props to Nick and Ryan for making this happen. Nick thanks for the fantastic turn around time. For a vendor I am surprised. :eek:

Looking forward to the group buy. You've got to pay to play folks.

Thank you guys. As a builder myself i know what it is like to try to find an aftermarket part. I dont build domestics but i plan on building one as my next projects.

I look forward to trying to get these things in the works for you.

You guys build some amazing machines.

Just FYI i didnt post a turn around time for the tanks ..

From start to finish the tanks are around 8-10 weeks. :(

Any Questions, feel free to ask.

Toms-SC
05-19-2010, 03:23 PM
From start to finish the tanks are around 8-10 weeks. :(

Any Questions, feel free to ask.

Thats not bad at all. It gives us time for the group buy to run.

If this pans out I'm betting there will be interest in valve covers too. We have not been getting much vendor love in the past years. If you are looking at increasing the volume of the sales I'd get in contact with Bill over at supercoupeperformance.com. He is one of 3 vendors for our cars.

Canton_nick
05-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Thats not bad at all. It gives us time for the group buy to run.

If this pans out I'm betting there will be interest in valve covers too. We have not been getting much vendor love in the past years. If you are looking at increasing the volume of the sales I'd get in contact with Bill over at supercoupeperformance.com. He is one of 3 vendors for our cars.

I will do that. Thanks for the info.

We do valve covers. We would need a core to start the fabrication of valve covers. Those wont be too expensive becuase they are not that intricate.

Let me know guys. I would be more than happy to try and help you guys out the best we can.

rzimmerl
05-19-2010, 03:28 PM
I will do that. Thanks for the info.

We do valve covers. We would need a core to start the fabrication of valve covers. Those wont be too expensive becuase they are not that intricate.

Let me know guys. I would be more than happy to try and help you guys out the best we can.

I have a couple sets of spares I could send for quote. :D

Toms-SC
05-19-2010, 03:34 PM

Yea wait till you see them. Welcome to the world of Super Coupes. :eek:

Canton_nick
05-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I have a couple sets of spares I could send for quote. :D

You know the process man . Give me a ring i will set you up with an RGA number so you can send them in.

Canton_nick
05-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Someone want to post a picture of the valve covers so i know what im workin with over here! :)

TSC89
05-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Here ya go.

Canton_nick
05-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Here ya go.

The engineer was right next to me when i clicked back on the forum.

He said those dont look to difficult.

We can do them ..

Ryan, call me up ill give you an RGA send me a core well get the ball rolling.

Im glad we can help you guys.!

Toms-SC
05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Nick make sure to check your private message box. I sent you some details to help you get familiar with our vendors and other communities that may want to participate.

Canton_nick
05-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Just spoke to bill. What a nice guy.

Thank you guys for the support.

rzimmerl
05-19-2010, 05:02 PM
Valve covers are in process, Nick is out for the day so I'll get RGA tomorrow and get them shipped out this week.

started a thread for the valve covers

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=884445#post884445

rzimmerl
05-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Group Purchase for the Canton coolant tanks

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114235

mellbutler
05-26-2010, 01:04 AM
so will this be a limited production or will it become a product they will then carry?

rzimmerl
05-26-2010, 07:06 AM
so will this be a limited production or will it become a product they will then carry?

I believe this is TBD, depending on how the Group Purchase goes. If your thinking of a possible future purchase, I'd advise to join the group purchase as the price won't be any cheaper if they make it into production.

Canton_nick
05-26-2010, 11:16 AM
I believe this is TBD, depending on how the Group Purchase goes. If your thinking of a possible future purchase, I'd advise to join the group purchase as the price won't be any cheaper if they make it into production.

If there is enough buyers this will potentially be a production piece. As well as the valve covers.

Thomas A
05-28-2010, 12:06 AM
I'd really have to see some photos before I could commit to the GP... :o

Thomas

rzimmerl
05-28-2010, 09:37 AM
I asked for a prototype to be built for the same reason, and the answer I recieved was "Imagine the stock tank, but just in aluminum". Canton said it will be the exact shape and size as the stock tank. As a matter of fact they will not return my stock coolant tank until the first run is built to verify all the dimensions are correct for a direct stock fit.

Canton_nick
05-28-2010, 09:48 AM
Yes, it is going to be exactly like the stock tank.

bowez
05-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Not to knock this in anyway but assuming this GP does go through how can $650 a unit be justified when compared to the more common units listed at $180. I understand $650 if this is only a one run deal and don't get the 10 people.

Let me say I wouldn't expect these to be close to the $180 price but nearly 4x as much.

Having to paint one car and tranny for the SC I can't afford a tank now.

Canton_nick
05-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Not to knock this in anyway but assuming this GP does go through how can $650 a unit be justified when compared to the more common units listed at $180. I understand $650 if this is only a one run deal and don't get the 10 people.

Let me say I wouldn't expect these to be close to the $180 price but nearly 4x as much.

Having to paint one car and tranny for the SC I can't afford a tank now.

Because, That tank is a very intricate tank.

Have you seen the contours and bends that tank has in it?.

Were making an aluminum version of this tank. Dont get me wrong, aluminum is a very soft metal compared to steel and is easier to work with but the man hours needed for those bends is far more thsn what we quoted.

Imagine trying to build one to look and fit exactly how that is supposed to. You will pull your hair out.

The 650 is high. Thats why we quoted it as a 10+. Making one will require about 13 to 20 hours just in putting it togetherand welding it correctly.

That doesnt include cutting the materials and the cost of materials.

Once we build a couple of them we can make a jig to make life easier and reduce the cost tus going from 650 to 350.

bowez
05-28-2010, 02:02 PM
I had no intent to insult, though seeing a quote of 15hrs of labor the price is fair.

So if the GP is done future orders would be somewhere between $350 and the $650?

rzimmerl
05-28-2010, 02:09 PM
I
So if the GP is done future orders would be somewhere between $350 and the $650?

I believe the answer is yes on this but I'll let Nick post for sure. That is only if we can get this first Group Purchase of 10 thru so they can build their tooling needed.

Toms-SC
05-28-2010, 02:36 PM
We really need to get 4 more on the group buy. I'm willing to flex and pick up a second unit to make it happen. Please show your support so we can get this product; and others produced.

Sxar
05-28-2010, 04:00 PM
If only I had a '89 - '93..... :D

Canton_nick
06-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Once the GP reaches ten people, the tanks will be $350 from that point on.

95_XR7
06-02-2010, 12:52 PM
If only I had a '89 - '93..... :D

Next, I say we look into the '94-'95's. One of these would look great under my hood. :D

-Corey

rzimmerl
06-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Next, I say we look into the '94-'95's. One of these would look great under my hood. :D

-Corey

Shouldn't be a problem, if I remember correctly those tanks are far simpler in design.

rzimmerl
08-05-2010, 11:18 AM
We have 10 people currently signed up for the pre sale for the initial production run. If anyone else wants to get in post in the GP link or send me a PM

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=897631#post897631

AND for you 94-95 guys, after these tanks are done, the valve covers get going, Canton is willing to quote the tanks for you guys. If anyone has a spare 94-95 tank they want me to ship in contact me.

Mike8675309
08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
deposit sent via paypal.

rzimmerl
08-13-2010, 01:39 PM
UPDATE 8-13-10

The first set of 10 tanks is scheduled to go into production on 8-16-10. I'll update the thread with some pics when they arrive.