PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Flow?

Regul8r
04-16-2010, 06:35 AM
Did a search, cannot find the info I was looking for.

I saw some talk of Fuel Filters and flow.
I am putting a 255 pump on.

What is the flow rate of the stock fuel filter?
IF the stock filter will not flow the amount needed to support the higher flow for bigger injectors then will it give a fuel starvation issue?

rzimmerl
04-16-2010, 07:16 AM
You will be fine, I have ran a 255FI pump, stock fuel filter, 50lb injectors for years without any issue. I don't know what the stock flow rating of the fuel filter is, but I am certain Ford designed it to flow somewhere near what the stock pump outputs.

The reason on the discussion of the billet fuel filter was to find an alternative that gives the needed flow to guys making 350-400 RWHP running a single pump on stock lines, since a few of them have found the limits of the 255 pump and/or the stock lines and are upgrading. I am not certain the stock filter is maxed out, I just figured that it was not designed for the amount of fuel over stock that we are running.

David Neibert
04-16-2010, 11:27 AM
You will be fine, I have ran a 255FI pump, stock fuel filter, 50lb injectors for years without any issue. I don't know what the stock flow rating of the fuel filter is, but I am certain Ford designed it to flow somewhere near what the stock pump outputs.

The reason on the discussion of the billet fuel filter was to find an alternative that gives the needed flow to guys making 350-400 RWHP running a single pump on stock lines, since a few of them have found the limits of the 255 pump and/or the stock lines and are upgrading. I am not certain the stock filter is maxed out, I just figured that it was not designed for the amount of fuel over stock that we are running.

I think the stock filter is fine. Chris Wise is making over 500 rwhp with stock fuel lines and a stock filter. My 91 is also using a stock filter.

David

rzimmerl
04-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I think the stock filter is fine. Chris Wise is making over 500 rwhp with stock fuel lines and a stock filter. My 91 is also using a stock filter.

David

Good to know, I just assumed you had upgraded.

David Neibert
04-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Good to know, I just assumed you had upgraded.

Ughh..sorry I do have an oversized filter with 6AN hoses clamped on the ends. It was just a generic high pressure filter I found at Autozone like we used on my turbo car, but it isn't stock.

Wise does have a stock filter and he's making more power than I am, so I'm still sure the stock filter will be fine to support the power most of us are looking for.

David

Regul8r
04-16-2010, 06:44 PM
THANK YOU ALL!!

This board and it's members ROCK!