upper control arms install

spetz01

I just swapped in new upper control arms....Again I gotta thank the brilliant Ford engineers that made those nuts so easy to get at.

Just want to make sure about tightening them up. I have the nuts snug and the car is back on the wheels. Do I tighten them up now that there is weight on the suspension?

I just swapped in new upper control arms....Again I gotta thank the brilliant Ford engineers that made those nuts so easy to get at.

Just want to make sure about tightening them up. I have the nuts snug and the car is back on the wheels. Do I tighten them up now that there is weight on the suspension?

If I remember correctly,the nuts should be tightened while the load is OFF of the suspension.{still raised in the air} This preloads the suspension bushing.

If I remember correctly,the nuts should be tightened while the load is OFF of the suspension.{still raised in the air} This preloads the suspension bushing.

That is 100% INCORRECT. You don't want the bushings preloaded (also called bushing wind-up) You want to do all final torquing or tigthening with the suspension loaded (weight on the wheels)

ok?

Just got done installing and making sure I did this right

The upper control arm nuts I tighten snug so I can the spindle on. Then loosen them a bit. I Jacked up the lower control arm so the car just starts to lift off the Jack stand. I then torqued down the upper control arm nuts to 95#s and the same for the bottom ball joint nut. (oh the fun of having the nut turn with the joint, but I figured away around that). What is the torque setting on the 3 nuts holding the strut up?

Thanks

Back