Chirp chirp sound mystery

haroldj

I was test running my 90' SC and noticed a slight chirping sound from the engine. It seems to be noticeable only when stopped and in drive. In neutral the sound goes away. It seems rhythmic with the rotation of the engine. The only piece that comes to mind is the torque converter. I have owned the car from new and never changed the transmission oil. The transmission works perfectly.
Does anyone have experience with something like this? The bird has 130,000 miles on it, 90% of which are highway miles on the interstate.
Thanks, Harold

i'm betting its your transmissions output shaft seal boot. should be a white plastic piece. lube it up and youre good to go.

The weird thing is that it chirps only while stopped and in drive. Shift to neutral and it stops. It also does not chirp when driving. Chirp is very regular. Transmission output shaft is not moving while stopped and alternator should chirp whether in drive or neutral. The air box resonator is stock from the factory.
How critical is it to change the transmission filter and fluid?
The sound appears to be from over the center of the engine. I topped off the supercharger fluid just in case although it shouldn't make a difference whether in drive or neutral fot the supercharger should it?
Thanks, harold

Last edited:
The weird thing is that it chirps only while stopped and in drive. Shift to neutral and it stops. It also does not chirp when driving. Chirp is very regular. Transmission output shaft is not moving while stopped and alternator should chirp whether in drive or neutral. The air box resonator is stock from the factory.
How critical is it to change the transmission filter and fluid?
The sound appears to be from over the center of the engine. I topped off the supercharger fluid just in case although it shouldn't make a difference whether in drive or neutral fot the supercharger should it?
Thanks, harold

Welcome.

If I were you I would wait on servicing the transmission until you get the opinion of another sc/mechanic friend IN PERSON first.
You don't appear to be certain the noise is coming from tranny.
If tranny has not had any fluid changes over lifetime, changing fluid will do more harm than good.

paul

My bird started chirping a few weeks ago from the engine compartment - does it in drive or neutral, I havent really looked into it yet, but I was guessing a pulley is squeaking as it sounds like its coming from the front of the engine.

It helps to locate the source of the sound to determine what is going on.

- Dan

MOST LIKELY ITS AN ACESSORY ON THE MOTOR.

AC PULLEY, TENSIONER PULLEY, TENSIONERS OR ALTERNATOR.

BMW's do this all the time, put them in drive and sit there (not moving) and you will hear them. its pulleys on those cars, something about the way you load the motor or a certain rpm and load combo.

put car in drive and hold foot on brake and have someone listen under the hood. its best to use a mechanics sthethescope to find those types of noises.

I think you get a chirp out of the CPS, Cam Position Sensor, if it is on its way out. I could be wrong... most likely....

Justin

put car in drive and hold foot on brake and have someone listen under the hood. its best to use a mechanics sthethescope to find those types of noises.

It can be a little tricky using the stethoscope around fast-moving belts, though. Keep those fingers, long hair, and jewelry out of there! LOL.

Back