94SC Auto Running RICH

cudaz101

This car has ran rich from day one when I got it...It is a GAS PIG as well...I got a flaming 18MPG highway last ten gallons I burnt...My tail pipes are dead BLACK and you can just smell the odor...Think I have a generous regulator? I know I have a bad EGR valve and that is not helping my MPG, but will it make the car run rich as well?

Also it will flutter a little sometimes when it hits certain power areas, and then come right back on track...But it is not consistant at all...Other than the fact that it is very RICH...

The car has a clear EXH, a 5% pulley, a modded 70MM MAF, K&N Panel, and a Raised Blower TOP...

Any ideas?

Cheers

Hi

An EGR is capable of affecting gas mileage; as are bad or dying 02 sensors, a leaking injector, and maybe even the mass air flow. Was the MAF modified when you bought the car? You should definatley be seeing more than that on the highway. I got 33 miles pg on a stock SC on a 80 mile round trip one time! You must get around 10-12 for town then also, I would guess.

o2 sensors...

The o2 sensors are new, the engine itself only has about 7K on it at the most...This thing is very alive and fresh, and rich is bette than lean but i would like to get this car running clean...

I have an X-Ray auto scan, it passes everything but the "EGR"...

The MAF is my own MOD, I used it on my 90SC and it worked for a few years just fine...I went to a 76MM MAF on my 90 and put this modded 70MM in the 94. But this problem has been going on way beofre any of my mods...I just got this car in May, and it was BONE STOCK with the same problems...

Thanks for the input...More Please...

In that case

At this time all I can associate it with would be the EGR then, or perhaps a computer problem. Where is the ECC from? Original with this car, or used with another? Perhaps its installation should be checked.. with the slightly eradic engine behavior you noticed I would say something about the ignition except its running rich also.. hmm, perhaps the nock sensors are activating for some reason..

EEC is origional...

I would put money on it being origional...Since...The engine was replaced by FORD and I have the work order and time sheet on the job and it says nothing about changing it out or problems with it...All sensors were changed at that time as well, including the DIS...

Now..I should have mentioned this....I have a small quiet knock, sounds like a stuck lifter that comes and goes...But at times it can get plenty loud on a hard excelleration or even light...Then goes away.."FADES" I was thinking I need to try an engine flush to maybe clear a small piece of metal chaffing from the lifter...Like I said though it is pretty much a new engine...Oil changes are frequent and use Mobil1...

I have looked very close at the injectors and found no sign of any leaks...No odor, no stains....etc....

Thanks man..Keep it comin'...

hmm

In that case I would say you are definatley experiencing engine knock, and the reason for its fade is the nock sensors kicking in to squelch its anger. What brand of plugs are you using? Perhaps they should be looked at; and are the wires as new as the plugs? I wonder if the timing could come into this as well..

I always blow off the regulator hose, check fuel pressure with hose connected and disconnected.

Mine gets 100MILES to a full tank, I used to get 250:D

I would agree with plug/wire check...

That makes more sense than anything else right now...

I see where the plugs and wires were done at FORD during the engine change, but the car sat for a LONG time after the work was done...I am gonna jerk the plugs and see for myslelf...

Should have already done that knowing how much the plugs and wires play a role in so many problem scenarios with our cars...

As well as the EGR...I am just gonna do it I guess...PITA...

Thanks guys...

Back