Rain on my parade- Problems-Blowby?

ricardoa1

Well it was an exciting two weeks since I put the Anny together, and the SC troll came by and cursed me again.

The new set up is using way too much oil. Ive been driving the car nice and only part throttle accel. When i first got the engine running I put in about 5.5 quarts 10W30. The after the first week I needed another quart all I had laying around was 20W50. I chucked it to the engine being completely empty. Week two and this morning I had to add another quart. Good thing this car has the low oil sensor.

There is no signs of blowby out of the tailpipes. And no puff of smoke at morning start-ups. I did not change the PCV, but it was not using oil before the rebuild or the new heads. I took out the PCV this afternoon and find that vapors and mist are coming out the PCV hole maybe too quick. I bought another PCV but I think it will just make it worse with the new PCV, the other motorcraft one still rattled and seemed clean.

So where is this blowby from?......The heads are supposed to be refreshed from the machine shop according to Mark M. The person who I bought. The heads looked worked on and a valve was even replaced. Brass guides and new seals. The engine is a new SCU rebuild with Wiseco pistons.

I have about 200 miles on the set up so far, I read that there was an instance of a car getting a new rebuilt engine and the rings not seating due to fuel washing down the walls. And after it got tuned the rings seated properly. Can this be happening?

Sucks I am in the middle of changing valve cover gaskets on the other car. I dont know why I do this-really. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
What do the plugs look like? Could the rear main seal be leaking? I replaced mine using the proper tool and it STILL leaks.

The oil. regular oil. I checked the oil overnight and the stick was overfilled. Some boost but i have not really flogged it. I hope its a break in issue.

I assume you followed SCU's recommendations on break in? How many miles so far?

I'm with Paul, and I'd pull the plugs (paul, sleeve that crank). If it's going to through the combustion chamber you'll see it on the plugs. You could pull the lower tube to see how much oil collects in the intercooler to see if it going through the crankcase.

Is the motor getting up to temp and not running too cold? Also, keep in mind if you're doing lots of short trips, oil consumption may go up. Forged pistons fit a bit looser (than stock) when cold and as such, ring tension is not at the highest then.

I drive about 25 miles on the highway per day x10 work days I got on about 250miles. Round up to 300 for short trips. So yeah its getting up to temps and 90 MPH highway runs. I have to do an oil change this weekend. SCU wants me to do it at 300miles so. So I guess Ill change it out and test it again for another week. Im not sure I can afford the chip this week so Ill have to wait another week to buy the tune. Then Ill put on some WOT wear on the rings maybe thats all it needs to seat.

My break in procedures for my blue car when I got it rebuilt was racinga porshe 911 turbo on my way to the shoot-out after picking it up at daves house. I didnt have issues with that car till the valve cover gasket started to leak.

Maybe a sensitive one.

When I checked both times last week and this week. The car sat over night I turned on the car and saw the lamp. I shut the car down and checked the level. I notcied oil was not even on the stick marker. I poured a quart in and level went to full. I had to run to work so I could not wait till the cars oil dripped back to the pan. Same thing happned again this week and I used the same procedure as last week.

I checked the oil in the morning cold and it was overfilled by a little bit :eek: So I am not sure what's really going on yet.

I went to do an oil change and there was a puddle under the car. But not engine oil. PS oil....The brand new aftermarket PS pressure line is leaking at the swivel connector next to the threaded fitting, right at the EVO..... I replaced this line new....:mad: :( I cannot get a break I tell you. I gotta rip the acc bracket and everything else to get to it. I am furious.

Back