Supercharger Bypass Solenoid, 89sc

sts70004

So I got a code 82, Supercharger Bypass Solenoid, and I have a really hard time starting usually, and the other codes I get on a KOER are TPS Wide Open Throttle Not Detected (so TPS is probably bad), EGR not fully opening (but at the moment its broken, bypassed and vacuum tube plugged), and Both O2 Sensors read lean. I think that Code 82 is causing my issue about starting, and the TPS or EGR are causing the O2 sensors to read lean, leaning more towards TPS. What do you think? And also, can I put a dummy load in place of the solenoid if it turns out to be bad? Since all other SCs don't have one anyway...:rolleyes:

soooo update. The bypass solenoid was unplugged... I think I forgot to plug it back in when I was doing the heater core. So I guess TPS is the issue??

Did you open the throttle during the test? It is part of the test procedure, as the car has no way of testing proper operation of the TPS without it moving.

When the car gets done raising the idle speed, then letting it down really low it should start to idle normally...at this point, you need to open the throttle to WOT (or maybe just close to WOT) for brief amount of time. Impulse would be the right description. :) I wouldn't hold it there though.

The little reader might actually even give you a single beep to tell you when to do this, I can't remember.

I would be looking for vacuum leaks first.

Last edited:
The code reader had an on-screen prompt that told me when to do it. In this order I believe, steering wheel to the right 1/2 turn, brake pedal, then WOT, which I did every single one. Repeated the test also since it said "operator error during dynamic test/WOT not detected" TPS maybe causing it? Under normal idle I have 18-20 in hg

The code reader had an on-screen prompt that told me when to do it. In this order I believe, steering wheel to the right 1/2 turn, brake pedal, then WOT, which I did every single one. Repeated the test also since it said "operator error during dynamic test/WOT not detected" TPS maybe causing it? Under normal idle I have 18-20 in hg

You only have a specific window to do those three operations. I would rerun the test, doing you steering wheel, brake padal, WOT withing 5 seconds. See if you still get the code.

You only have a specific window to do those three operations. I would rerun the test, doing you steering wheel, brake padal, WOT withing 5 seconds. See if you still get the code.

I ran the test twice, but I can try it again when I have a code reader on hand.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm lost on what to do next. I suppose the MAF maybe? I put on a Conical Air Filter and I've heard that they can sometimes mist the MAF in oil?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm lost on what to do next. I suppose the MAF maybe? I put on a Conical Air Filter and I've heard that they can sometimes mist the MAF in oil?

KOER test only looks for a spike in voltage from the TP sensor. You could have a bad connection at the TP but you should be experiencing driveability or idle issues if that were the case. You would also have a solid ck eng lite on.

No drivability issues, just the bad idling initially. It starts fine, then idles like crap for 30 seconds to a minute if i let it go, and it might smooth out or it might die. If I give it gas it runs fine after the idle drops down. If it dies, it usually starts with no problem the second time. If the car sits for 10-20 minutes it'll do it again. KOEO and KOER tests run, codes I got were for TPS(KOER only), EGR(mine is broken, so bypassed), and O2 sensors lean. It used to only do this when I did a warm start, after it'd sat for 10-20 minutes after warming up, but it was colder outside, so I think engine temperature may have something to do with it. I replaced the ECT sensor a while back with an AutoZone one, are those known to be faulty units? Is it possible this is my problem?

Back