Safest place to put Jack

TvilleTbird

Greetings All,
I tried to do a search, but for some reason the site is kicking back an 'out of memory' error.

I'm looking to replace the passenger side ground cable between the motor & frame. I would like to ask the best way to jack up my '91 so I can get jack stands under the front, or put the wheels on the ramps. It won't drive on the ramps 'cause they're fairly old & tall & won't fit under the front bumper. Is there a spot in the center of the front end that I can jack it evenly on both sides w/o having to do one side, put in a stand, then try to jack the other?

Thanks for reading,
Rob

Just in front of the oil pan is the k-frame......

That is where I place the jack to get both front wheels off the ground....

You can place jack stands on the frame rails just behind the front wheels....

You can also avoid the jack thing all together by placing a couple of pieces of 2x6's in front of your ramps. Drive onto the 2x6's, then onto the ramps. They act as sort of a "pre-ramp", so that the bumper cover will clear the main ramps. You just need to cut the 2x6's long enough that the tires come up on them before the bumper cover reaches the ramps. I have to do this with my Jaguar; works like a champ.

JD

Screwing the ramps to the board is also a good way to keep the ramps from sliding.

David

Been there, done that.....

First time I used them, the ramps just slid across the floor....:eek:

You can try putting some old carpet under them to keep them from sliding....

Back