Suggestions on what may be damaged

Sxar

I recently purchased a 95 5-speed where the driver side rear wheel was locked up tight. The issue was that the caliper piston had come out and lodged against the rotor due to poor maintenance.

I replaced the caliper and rotor and did not notice any issues. I took it to work (45 min drive) and when I got into work, I noticed a grinding which appeared to be from the rear. At lunch, I took it out for a quick spin, but did not notice any noise. After the drive home, I had the same issue but I had time to listen closely to it.

I would describe it as a grinding gear with it occasionally seeming to skip teeth on the gear. It is worse when turning right and feels like something is broke.

I will be pulling the differential as that seems like it is the most likely culprit. Anything else I should check for damage? Just looking for some ideas on what is damaged.

Before you take it apart, see if you can get the rear wheels off the car and spin the tire by hand. Would help you pinpoint what needs to come apart. Parts back there are u-joints, diff bearings, trac-loc, CV joints, wheel bearings.

other thoughts... driveshaft rubbing on something. Subframe bolts loose.. (i.e. was the previous owner going to pull the subframe, broke the bolts, and then gave up on it?)

Before you take it apart, see if you can get the rear wheels off the car and spin the tire by hand. Would help you pinpoint what needs to come apart. Parts back there are u-joints, diff bearings, trac-loc, CV joints, wheel bearings.

other thoughts... driveshaft rubbing on something. Subframe bolts loose.. (i.e. was the previous owner going to pull the subframe, broke the bolts, and then gave up on it?)

I did get the wheels up off the ground. The passenger side rear seemed to be pretty loose. I could rotate it, what I felt was quite a bit, before the driver side wheel moved. Neither wheel had any play in them when checking the wheel bearings.

sounds like bad c/v joint...

could be c/v or tripod thrown from cup and damaged.
This can happen without even tearing the boots.
Only way to tell for sure is to take it out tho...

check the 36mm nut that holds the shaft to the hub.I have had that come loose and it is something you really dont notice.If it is that tighten it and go and get e new nut since it is a one time use only nut and believe me it wont stay tight once it comes loose.

Thanks all. I will check everything mentioned in case there is more than one issue going on. Better to rip it apart once instead of multiple times.

It wouldn't make a grinding sound - could be mistaken for one maybe...but you might check the dust shields too. I always end up bending them when working on suspension or brakes and they'll scrape the rotor - especially when cornering. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't make a grinding sound - could be mistaken for one maybe...but you might check the dust shields too. I always end up bending them when working on suspension or brakes and they'll scrape the rotor - especially when cornering. :rolleyes:

yea i know about this

my gf's parents had there car to 5-6shops not one of them figured it out. one ride around the block. i was like check this out:eek:. all 4 where touching:rolleyes:. now im there mechanic:D

Back