Injectors, MAF and CAI

Ok a couple questions for the community here.

- If I upgrade to 42lb injectors and upgrade the MAF, will I be fine with just the proper sampling tube? Not planning on upgrading the fuel pump.

- CAI, I do not want to spend a fortune...recommendations for an inexpensive one? I found this one and wonder it if will fit.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/product....rchant&utm_campaign=shopping&bhcd2=1272677194

Thanks, as always!
Raymond

the very stock(factory pump) will not have enough flow for 42's. at the least you'll need a 195, at the prices though might as well get the biggest pump you can.

with all of what your wanting to do, you wont get away without a tune. tune in your case is a must.

Well I was planning a major rebuild, but money flow issues have squelched that. My stock injectors are of course old and the last time I had them out they were cracked on some places and a bit brittle. I hate to resort to buying new stock injectors as I have a line on a slightly used 42lb set with a matching MAF. I was hoping to be able to install them with proper sampling tube getting a bit more performance. Figured the CAI would be good to add too.

Any further comments?

Dave has a good deal on 60lbs injectors, if your going to get a tune just go with the 60's, they are cheaper than 42's.

imo, if your going to do mods that require a tune, then save up and do all the mods at one time. you will save money in the long run.

you gotta get a tune for those injectors if you don't want to risk washing your rings out. As for that cold air, not going to work with the car. You're better off doing a setup like mine if you're on a budget. This is an early model, right?

I ran 42's with a 76mm MAF and the right sampling tube for ~4 months and had no issues. The stock fuel pump holds up fine and now even with a base tune I still get commanded 11.7 AFR on the dyno no problem.

are you sure its a stock fuel pump or a stock replacement fuel pump. the originals only flowed 115, the current replacements are 195. the current oem pumps will work but not the original pumps or atleast not for long.

I ran 42's with a 76mm MAF and the right sampling tube for ~4 months and had no issues. The stock fuel pump holds up fine and now even with a base tune I still get commanded 11.7 AFR on the dyno no problem.

I second this... Im running 42's with 76mm MAF with no problems... only difference is I have a 255lph fuel pump to back it up...

~~~ can you do to these cars? Seems like nothing.

look at the members garage, you will see theres alot you can do to these cars, ive been playing with mine for around 3 years and compared to most here mine is still a moderately mod'd car.

look at the members garage, you will see theres alot you can do to these cars, ive been playing with mine for around 3 years and compared to most here mine is still a moderately mod'd car.

Yeah if I wanna spend a grand on a chip and a fuel pump. Other than that...change the oil, fill the tank and drive looks like it. I bet I cannot even put a K&N filter in it without some other expensive change. Makes me miss my Mustang

There are alot of performence bolt on options out there, They r just not free. These cars are not tempos. How fast can u afford to go. As for the K&N, no tune needed!:cool:

There are alot of performence bolt on options out there, They r just not free. These cars are not tempos. How fast can u afford to go. As for the K&N, no tune needed!:cool:

Let's see...the definition of a bolt on option is that you bolt it on and get results...not bolt on, spend a grand to make it work, the get results. So from all that I read the only "bolt-on" is a CAI. MAF, Throttlebody, Injectors require chip and/or tune. Underdrive pulleys can cause overheating so you need a better radiator. Just frustrating when there are true bolt-ons for Mustangs.

The thing I think most of us are getting at is if you're going to do all of this, it's a good idea to get a chip so things don't go BOOM. There's nothing worse than getting your car back together only for it to lean out and detonate a hole in a piston the first time you really get on it.

I had a MAF, K&N, exhaust, and a 5% on my car without a chip. Made about 200 at the wheels. Not bad, but not great. Tuning actually got me about 10 more HP.

You could upgrade the blower and add a TB, mild cam (Comp Cams) and mild ported heads without worries. Add an adjustable FPR to give you a little more headroom with the stock injectors and you should be good to go. You'll be tuning, but by adjusting the fuel pressure at the rails. Not the best way, but it works.

The fuel pump is just a good idea all around. No tune needed for that, and it'll give you piece of mind that you know you won't run out of fuel on the top end. Just have to drop the tank and splice a couple of wires IIRC. I have a removable section of exhaust for that convenience. If you have the tank dropped, might as well upgrade to the 94+ style tank for better exhaust routing. If you have already upgraded the exhaust, forget I mentioned this. ;)

Mustangs r small block fords, been around for ages. so parts for mustangs are plentifull, more for them than the bow tie boys. we have 3.8 v6s. Parts are not as plentifull they are realitvily new(er), but it could be worst. I realize frustration is a bitch but abviously u r somewhat of a hot rodder or u would have bought a sable. Just like everything else u have to start with the basics, Cooling (bigger radiator and intercooler), More fuel (bigger pump, adjustable regulator, injectores and high flow rails), More reliable spark (ingition upgrades), More air (Porting/polishing, s/c and heads, with pulley, and CAI). Top it off with a free flow exhast. It costs money. Work with what u can afford. Hot rodding has been done since the first burn out. They did not have summit or Jegs. or the money we have now adays.

What in the heck were you thinking getting that tattoo if you just bitch and moan about the performance parts, lol maybe you can cover it up with a mustang

Its not my tattoo wise guy...just a photo I found on the net. And we all bitch and moan about these cars...goes along with the territory

Let's see...the definition of a bolt on option is that you bolt it on and get results...not bolt on, spend a grand to make it work, the get results. So from all that I read the only "bolt-on" is a CAI. MAF, Throttlebody, Injectors require chip and/or tune. Underdrive pulleys can cause overheating so you need a better radiator. Just frustrating when there are true bolt-ons for Mustangs.

A lot of your frustration is out of ignorance. And don't take offense to that, ignorance is fixable, stupidity isn't.

Mustangs are somewhat more responsive to bolt on's - why? Because the motor was horribly under utilized from the factory. This makes it easy to improve. Not so much so on these cars. Ford did a better job from the start so there is less to be gained cheaply. Also remember that the SC is not a bastard child a step below the Mustang. In reality is (was) a very technologically advanced car for it's day (and hence both expensive as well as NICE). The only difference today is they are cheap to buy in the first place, but still expensive to modify.

Some of your comments are just completely off base. I can understand if you are feeling the pinch, but to make statement that are out and out incorrect borders on slightly offensive. :p

Yeah if I wanna spend a grand on a chip and a fuel pump.
A 255lph FI (which means "forced induction, not "fuel injection", there is a difference) fuel pump is $120, same price as for a comparable Mustang pump. A chip is $250. Try to find one for a Mustang that actually works for less money. Won't happen.

So what bolt ons are good for a Mustang?

• Headers? Hey, guess what save your money cause we don't need them.
  • TB? Not a bolt on power adder, even for a Mustang.
  • MAF? Not a power adder. These are changed to help the motor deal with a real power adder (like a better blower).
  • Injectors? Last time I checked we only have 6. +1 for the SC.
  • Underdrives - well you said that they cause overheating issues, funny coming from a relative "newb". We've had that discussion since way back before 2002 and the result is always the same. People love 'em, people hate 'em. I trust you'll find Mustang guys who say the same things if you look hard enough. Any performance part is going to be a compromise. You have to pick your focus. Underdrives are one of the best bang for the buck upgrades on an SC. The #1 upgrade is a better blower.
  • If you consider cylinder heads bolt on then that is one area the Mustang guys have us beat hands down, no contest. But as others have said, if you want a Mustang then go get one. Easy and cheap, kind of like some girls if you get the idea.

Back