Code Scanner Plugin Location

cntinuum

Where is the OBD I port to plug into on my '95? I am getting a CEL after driving the car awhile that goes off after turning off the car. My gut, tells me it is an O2 sensor. Is it under the dash like OBD II is, under the hood, passenger side kick panel,...?

I have a Chilton Total Care p/n 8268 manual. I can't find any reference to where the port to plug in a scanner in is.
I have gone thru the FAQ's, and didn't find anything, but how use a paperclip! I have a OTC 3498 code scanner (wish it did live data) and want to use it.
I have used a number of different search words and learned a lot about a whole bunch of stuff, off topic.
BTW, whatever became of the "Tuning For Dummies"? That thread ended with no product being produced.
Thanks,
-Dave

Under the hood, passenger side.

Attachments

• HPIM1084s.JPG
    HPIM1084s.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 190
My CEL has started to come on today. It will come on after 5 min of driving, then will go away after about 30 sec. Then about a minute later, it will come back on...It seems to do this cycle throughout my drive.

I just finished trying the "paperclip" method and I have a couple questions;

I let the car warm up for 2-3 minutes (idle rpm) and there was no CEL on the dash, but when I turn the key on, engine off, the CEL is on...So I go ahead and proceed with the test.

1. With key on, engine off, When connecting across pin#2 and "test connector", the electirc radiator fan kicked on for a couple seconds and shut off. Is this normal?

2. When I insert the test light in pin#4, I get 3 short consecutive flashes, then about a 3 second pause, then 3 short consecutive flashes again. Then the CEL went off the dash and i have no more flashes on the test light. Also, the CEL on the dash flashes when the test light flashes and stops when the test light has stopped.

So basically, Im confused and have no idea what this is telling me...

Scanner can't See the Car

Under the hood, passenger side.
I plugged in the OBD I connector and the line with only 1 plug on it.
Set the vehicle in the tool and attempted to read the codes. Scanner didn't think it was connected to the car. Any suggestions? Yes, key was on, engine was off.

Normally, the scanner powers up when plugged to the plug. Didn't, so I manually powered up the scanner.
I have used this on my OBD II vehicles and know that it works there.
Thanks,
-Dave

Set the vehicle in the tool and attempted to read the codes. Scanner didn't think it was connected to the car. Any suggestions? Yes, key was on, engine was off.

Normally, the scanner powers up when plugged to the plug. Didn't, so I manually powered up the scanner.
Thanks,
-Dave

I'd make sure your looking at the right connector. It will look something like this:
http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/Ford OBD1 Decoder.htm

I'm probably getting a 111 code since the CEL flashes 3 short consecutive times, then stops.

Thanks,
-Dave

What's the part number/model of your scanner?

To do a engine running test, you start the car and hook the paperclip and test light up the say way? It seems like you could really screw something up if you hook this up wrong...

Jeez, you think I posted a picture with a red circle over the wrong connector? :mad:

Scan Codes

No, did you move your connector or is that where yours was originally? Mine was hard to find because it was burried under some wires faced down :rolleyes: right in front of the passenger side firewall.

What's the part number/model of your scanner?
OTC 3498, I thought it was one of the better ones on the market. I talked to SPX tech support about what to buy this winter and chose this scanner because it can read transmission codes, was a kit with plugs for GM, Ford, & Chrylser, and it is Internet updatable.

When I pulled the cover off the OBD I connector(s) in the car, it had spider webs on it.
-Dave

Attachments

• OBD I plug.JPG
    OBD I plug.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 129
  • OTC 3498 OBD I Plug.JPG
    OTC 3498 OBD I Plug.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 124
External Power needed for OTC 3498

Called SPX tech support this morning. Need to have the cigarette lighter adapter connected to power the scanner. I did that and the scanner powered up and talked to the car. The car was cold so the readings are incorrect. It did operate the fans and other systems on the car. I will go for a joy ride and then retest the car and see what needs attention.

Back to basics eh?
Does the device have power?
Did you turn it on?
Is it connected?
Were your eyes open?:)
-Dave

Back