stupid mistake

warpedsc

well final got the engine back in the car got everything drawed up to start putting bell housing bolts in then remembered that a manual car needs a throw-out bearing installed too and my was laying on the work bench next to the car. guess thats what happens when its 3am and tring to get something done on very little sleep

Been there done that man, whenever the car(s) are being worked on I always have people around to double check whatever I'm doing.

just consider this a little extra practice :)

wife was asleep and was the only time i have had to work on it since my son has been born
have had enough practice working on it. need the practice of driving it

did the same thing on my 1965 corvair. We had pulled the engine to put a new clutch in it. We bolted it back up, were getting the last bolts on the motor when my dad found the thrust washer (cable operated clutch) sitting on the work bench.

Going to take the motor back out, one of the bell housing bolt heads stripped off, and it took us 4 hours and 5 drill bits to drill that bolt out so we could put the thrust washer in.

well final got the engine back in the car got everything drawed up to start putting bell housing bolts in then remembered that a manual car needs a throw-out bearing installed too and my was laying on the work bench next to the car. guess thats what happens when its 3am and tring to get something done on very little sleep

i almost never forget things but the 3am thing, well ive have fallen asleep under the car more times then i can count. scares the poo outta the g-friend when i do that. and it hurts a lil when i wake up forgetting im under the car and smash my forehead. :)

did almost the same thing when I replaced a motor on a 2006 BMW 330xi. except I got the trans all wrestled back up to the motor, ok.... then installed the transfercase, ok.... go to bolt torque converter to flex plate and Whaaattttttt...... forgot to take the flex plate off of old motor....

dang..

What a pain!!

I had a few mess-ups on my rebuild...

forgot to put the oil filter (of all things!) on when I primed the motor after the rebuild. :rolleyes: So nearly all 5 quarts ended up all over the floor before I realized what was going on

forgot to install my new oil pressure relief valve until it was too late...so my car has less than par oil pressure. :rolleyes:

Salem, IN huh? We're pretty close!! Have to meet up and do something with the SC's when you're ready! :)

Yes, need to redo the rear main on mine and the wife and kid thing are the problems I having as well. He's 20 months old now and into my tools everytime I get them out. :mad:

Wouldn't trade him for all the SCs in the world though. :D

Yes, need to redo the rear main on mine and the wife and kid thing are the problems I having as well. He's 20 months old now and into my tools everytime I get them out. :mad:

Wouldn't trade him for all the SCs in the world though. :D

i have a two year old that bothers the hell out of me when I am working.

here is what I did. I took a piece of board and cleaned up edges. put some holes in it and got some assorted bolts and nuts. (anything american thread works good) got some washers and painted them different colors. now when I work he sits next to me and puts the bolts in the holes and puts nuts on them stacks washers... ect.. he just wants to do somehting similar to what you are doing. i even gave him an old craftsman wratchet and a socket so he can really pretend to work with daddy..

they just wana be like there father so dont discourage them, JUST DONT LET THEM UNDER THE CAR WITH YOU!!!!.. too dangerous in my book.

I hate when i'm 100% sure I know what i'm doing and then it turns out I don't and i'm on the phone gettin answers on where I went wrong...

ive been letting my girls help by getting tools and parts when they are in the garage with me but more than usual they are just grabbing the stuff i need and running out the door with it. Its a start though to get them interested in cars

I spent many of my younger years hanging at my dad's hip as he worked on anything from fixing the furnace, making new air runs, fixing door knobs, working on his motorcycle. I learned what tools were what, and after a while I could anticipate what the next tool he would need was, rather than him having to ask.

I spent 6th grade to 9th grade sitting in the garage of my Step Dad's as he worked on his 70 Chevelle, and 69 El Camino with a big block. Fetching tools and asking about what he was doing, helping put new springs in, working on carbs, changing out distributors, wiring up tachometers.

Spent the summer of 9th grade at my dads with a 1965 corvair my step dad gave me, hand sanding all the bad paint off it, repairing holes in the steel with fiberglass mesh. Sticking blocks in the springs to fit 14" uni-lug dish aluminum wheels. Later we did the clutch job.

A couple years ago me and my brother went over to Dad's and swapped the clutch out for his car in the dirt driveway in about 1/2 of a day.

Point is. Kids may bother you when they are young, but if you stick with it, they'll turn into real help as they get older, and eventually you won't have to do it anymore, they will do it for you.

I spent many of my younger years hanging at my dad's hip as he worked on anything from fixing the furnace, making new air runs, fixing door knobs, working on his motorcycle. I learned what tools were what, and after a while I could anticipate what the next tool he would need was, rather than him having to ask.

I spent 6th grade to 9th grade sitting in the garage of my Step Dad's as he worked on his 70 Chevelle, and 69 El Camino with a big block. Fetching tools and asking about what he was doing, helping put new springs in, working on carbs, changing out distributors, wiring up tachometers.

Spent the summer of 9th grade at my dads with a 1965 corvair my step dad gave me, hand sanding all the bad paint off it, repairing holes in the steel with fiberglass mesh. Sticking blocks in the springs to fit 14" uni-lug dish aluminum wheels. Later we did the clutch job.

A couple years ago me and my brother went over to Dad's and swapped the clutch out for his car in the dirt driveway in about 1/2 of a day.

Point is. Kids may bother you when they are young, but if you stick with it, they'll turn into real help as they get older, and eventually you won't have to do it anymore, they will do it for you.

That's beautiful, Mike. :)

I better stop reading this thread. My wife already wants to have a baby (we're not quite ready yet), and all this reading is making me excited to have some youngin's "helping" me in the garage. :D

well my mistake just turned into a blessing. my slave cylinder was cracked and didnt have any fluid in it. didnt notice it till i went to unhook the line to it. kids will change everything once u have them but its for the good though

Whew! Good thing huh!?:)

While you've got it (back) out...might want to look at a few other things:

1) rear main seal - also check for a groove worn in the crankshaft where seal meets the end of the crank - it will leak with a new seal if it has a groove deep enough. You can buy a sleeve to repair the crank. It requires a special tool to install. I have the tool if you would like to borrow it (otherwise costs about $30)

2) pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft

3) make sure you don't leave your ratchet in the bell housing when re-installing :p

Mike,

My grandfather was the mechanic for the local school and worked on all 50 buses along with the other school vehicles. i was his apprentice many times. I remember my dad always making me hold the light. Not there damn it, right here now hold still. I remember almost crying then, but now I laugh along with him.

You haven't seen Aidan since he just a few months old, but he is up and running around now and into everything. I won't get him the home depot set of tools or even allow him to mess with mine all that much, because I dont want him picking up a plugged in skill saw or anything of the sort and getting him hurt. He's too young to understand a toy from a real tool.

Dad had a 72 camper special 390 ford f250 and he was rebuilding it when I was 4. I remember handing him tools and asking question after question. Even distracted him enough that he put it all back together and was getting ready to start it when he remembered he hadn't pre lubed the crank bearings. Wasn't allowed to help him take it back apart and lube parts and put it back together.

Spent many a late night rebuilding my brother's olds engine and finally got it together and dad came to drive it home and we go about 10 miles from home and he pulled over and raised the hood and the exhaust manifold was cherry red. It was 3 in the morning he just turned and looked me and shook his head. We pulled the distributer and turnd it 180 and finished driving it home without any problems. My brother totaled the car with only 75 miles on the rebuild.

Hope to have the SC is back together for Car Carft. Need to get a EEC plug, rear main, transmission, clutch and rear IRS from the Mark. Shouldn't be too many late nights in that project. Aidan goes to bed at 8pm. :):confused::eek:

Back