H B / pully QUESTION

anlo

harmonic balancer pully wobbling quite a bit took belts off all bolts seem tight what would be my next step in assessing a repair..... runs good but a wobbly pully just bugs me dont want to destroy somthing major for an easy fix now rather than later...,... just purchased 90 for 500$ previous owner said it wouldnt crank.and just let it sit.... runs fine even with 4 month old gas just going thru and doing all the things that should be addressed when you get a new sc ,remove air silencer,check all vacuum hoses etc etc... and appears to have recent water pump job >>>>could that repair be connected to the harmonic balancer pully issue any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed
after 10 years with my original 90 ive become rather handy and knowledgable thanks to every one here.without this site i probably would have got rid of it long ago but as we all know once an avid s c fan always one....

Crank pulley only goes on one way the right way, but will go on the wrong way lots of different ones.

There are 4 holes, and one is offset to force the pulley to fit properly only one way. Take the pulley off and inspect it. my guess is the pulley just needs to be turned so things line up correctly.

While you check that out, inspect the harmonic balancer that the pulley is bolted to to make sure it isn't falling apart.

Is this a stock assembly?

If BHJ balancer - be warned that some unit's (if not all units) tapped bolt holes for the pulley are not tapped far enough. The bolts bottomed out on me JUST before really clamping down on the pulley. Fortunately after 1000miles (including about 15 runs down the dragstrip at the shootout!) it had only started to get wobbly when I got home. It was bad enough that I could hear it while the motor was running, but you couldn't tell by looking at the pulley. I took that nice, new aluminum pulley off and tapped the holes further and fixed the problem...just before a disaster!

If it's stock +1 on Mike's comments.

stock

its stock whats ivolved in removing the pully to inspect hb special tools ??? its a pretty significant wobble and i have a new crank shaft sensor laying around would this be a good time to replace ?

its stock whats ivolved in removing the pully to inspect hb

13mm or 15mm socket turning the bolts counter clockwise to remove. The balancer itself should be a solid piece with no movement. Look at the elastomer around the ring, and make sure it isn't separated. Make sure the big bolt in the middle of the balancer isn't loose.

seen this before twice...

1. Balancer sheered at base...not good

2. Pulley bolts coming loose...not that bad, just dont want it to come completely loose

removal

i really want to go out and pull the balancer to inspect the issue but its running so good now . i guess im asking for a step by step for the process .when i raise the engine wobble dissappears or seems to.....
can i remove plastic cover to inspect anything , does pully come off first , which bolts do i begin with pully , large bolt . changed driver side plugs ,,,,,poor previous owner changed passenger side (hardest) before giving up and throwing box of other 3 plugs and wires in the back seat... and he said it wouldnt crank he would be sick now.....
if not for the hb wiggly deal i would be ready for a maiden voyage of more than up the street.... o hhhh do need an abs motor going through that ordeal already i was able to diagnose issue immediately gotta hit the junk yard....

Last edited:
Back