Yep, I need a sevice manual, but

robby

Till then, maybe a bit of advice.
I posted a bit of my story on the intro thread, ie barn find.

I completed the prelimanary things after looooong storage such as fresh oil/filt after turning by hand......verifying rings weren't hung up, and wanted to lift some oil up before spinning it with the starter.
There were no issues, disabled ignition and spun it a bit, oil pressure came up (well the gauge that apparently isn't said so)
Pulled 10 gallons of very old fuel and put ten gallons of fresh into it.
Reconnected and lo and behold, it lives.
BUT, within a minute it was so fat it was blowing black smoke and sooting the concrete.

I found that it seems to run quite well (hasn't yet been driven...brake work, ie rusty rotors need attention) as long as the MAF is disconnected.
Pulled the filter lid and the MAF screen held no surprises (kinda hoping for a spider web or something)
So, since I don't have a manual yet my question is, Is this consistent with a failed MAF and is there a test proceedure for same?
If there is a proceedure, would anyone post the process and values?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

A couple more questions and not really technical,

Did the 89's come with remote lock transmitters or were they a parts counter option.
This 89 has no remotes, but the window sticker shows a Premium Luxury Group including a keyless entry system.
Or, is the keyless entry in 89 just the touch pad?

Kind of interesting.....the clear coat paint was a 183.00 option.
Stuff we now take for granted eh?

Rob

You are correct. The "Keyless Entry System" is the keypad above the door handle. No factory remotes for the 89 or 90 models.

Not sure on the MAF it should run with it plugged in, any CE light warnings?

No there was no remote avail on 89s the Keyless entry they refer to is the key pad entry thats on the door. Any remote alarm or entry options were are dealer installed option and had no relation to the Factory keyless entry module.

Not sure on the MAF it should run with it plugged in, any CE light warnings?

No there was no remote avail on 89s the Keyless entry they refer to is the key pad entry thats on the door. Any remote alarm or entry options were are dealer installed option and had no relation to the Factory keyless entry module.

Thanks for the reply regarding the existance of remotes.

Regarding the MAF....runs well disconnected and yes indeed it sets the CEL when disconnected.
No light when connected......just drowns itself....loading, gagging, smoking, even carbon sooting the driveway.
Fells like a carbureted engine with choke stuck closed.
If I pull the connecter off tha MAF it clears and settles in a matter of seconds.
I did follow the Alldata test proceedures....it did fail.
I have a replacement ordered.

Again, Thanks,

Rob

You are correct. The "Keyless Entry System" is the keypad above the door handle. No factory remotes for the 89 or 90 models.

Thanks TSC89!

I keep forgetting this is a 21 year old and some of the features we take for granted nowadays were uncommon then.
Ha, I was 39 when this was new.....I had to think about what I was driving back then.....And then it occured to me that very few cars even had a remote key fob available yet!

Rob

Thanks for the reply regarding the existance of remotes.

Regarding the MAF....runs well disconnected and yes indeed it sets the CEL when disconnected.
No light when connected......just drowns itself....loading, gagging, smoking, even carbon sooting the driveway.
Fells like a carbureted engine with choke stuck closed.
If I pull the connecter off tha MAF it clears and settles in a matter of seconds.
I did follow the Alldata test proceedures....it did fail.
I have a replacement ordered.

Again, Thanks,

Rob

Sounds like a bad MAF to me too.

Yepper,
That was the culprit.
Picked up a reman MAF this morning, installed and a quick goose to orient the EEC-IV.......It is happy.

I hate to replace electrical components....can't see what I'm repairing so it always feels like a crapshoot.
After all these years I'm still fascinated something so basic can fubar the whole works.

Rob

Back