Budget engine build?

daywalker

I am thinking about buying another SC early next year for a 2nd (project) car. This will be my 3rd SC that I plan to have when I retire in 30 years! :p Although, I would love to get a Coy Miller engine, there is no way i could afford it. My father is a certified mechanic and we would be able to rebuild the motor in his garage. Could I buy the parts one by one and come out spending less money? Maybe a custom ground cam with roller rockers? I am just talking about the motor internals and not bolt ons. What would be the top parts that I should buy and where can I get them? Thanks!!!

These are some weighted questions. If you want to do this in pieces, you should invest in a set of heads, along with a cam re-grind and all the necessary components like better springs, valves and roller rockers. You will also have to invest in some better gaskets and fastners.

You can leave the short block until it needs rebuilding if you like, the stock bottom end can handle some decent HP as long as it is in good working order.

As far as buying the parts you will need to build it yourself, that's where the research component comes in. You have a lot of options, and most things people will tell you are based on personal opinion, and may not be in your best inetrest.

Good luck!

bottom end

Hi Bill, i got a quick question, how much HP could a stock bottom end handle ??? considering its in good condition...
Thanks

400 hp and 500 tork (at the crank) is kinda where the men get separated from the boys. Balance and bottom end prep get important and also the way your headgaskets are, too. You should go to either o-rings or metal gaskets (4.2's).

Back