Intermittent Hard Steering

Chumboman

hello, ive been having problem with my steering, steering pump was changed about a year ago, ive been having intermittent failure, when parking it usually doesnt work but sometimes it does, when its hard i can hear a noise, not sure if its from the steering column. driving the car at speeds its a breeze no problem there, its just when its going very slow, usually when parking... Any idea what it could be??

suggestions would be very appreciated thank you!

I have the same problem, Only really happens on extremely quick turns or while parking.

Are your motor mounts good? from what ive seen if they "bleed out" such as the stock style hydraulic ones, they will flatten and the motor will sit on the K frame, and i believe the power steering lines run under a pinch point when the motor sags.

or the hoses could just be collapsed. its probably not the pump itself.

check the cooler lines on the front of the k frame. they tend to get hit and my car had one that was almost completey smased flat.

did you flush the system when the pump was installed?

if not then all the contaminants that were in the system from old pump (dont know the history on old pump) will be in rack, cooler, ect. and go into the pump and can cause the pump to be damaged again... or you may have a bad rack.

have seen them all.

i didn't install the pump, but i would guess the shop did the flushing... one would think -_- ... ill check the lines tomorrow too see how they look.

Back