cams

tony42

who has changed cams, and lifters,and rockers,would like to know how difficult the work was and what has to be dismantled, and when apart, what else can,be replaced ,if someone can give me instructions, would greatly be appreciated .thanx

Get yourself a factory service manual, and it will answer all your dis and assembly instructions.

Pull rad. Accessories(AC, steering pump, etc.) can be put aside.

Find TDC and mark location of HB and cam sensor, including "rotor".

Pull cam sensor

Remove pulley. Notice that it only lines up one way.

Pull HB. Factory aluminum HB's stretch and should not, technically, be reused. Neither should the bolt.

http://www.cintcc.com/mn12performance/mn12how-to/BHJ/BHJ-install.html

Remove water pump and timing cover. Don't forget the allen head bolt under the oil pump.

Cam chain tensioner can be pried back and locked into place with small allen key placed in hole of tensioner. Check for wear. Plan to replace.

Cleaning the factory gaskets off was ugly. The coated metallic Felpros are much better.

Nothing SC specific about removing removing intake manifold, although the 3 bolts for the M90 can be a bitch, because of misalignment, and the injector wiring clips can be brittle. There is a special tool to remove the ring on the upper IC tube. Now would be a good time for teflon IC gaskets. The cheap little plastic "rings/inserts" seemed the best for fuel line disconnects.

I'm sure I forgot many (most) details. Requires masochistic tendencies.

Ya know, the head gaskets aren't that far away, when you get this far.

Pull rad. Accessories(AC, steering pump, etc.) can be put aside.

Find TDC and mark location of HB and cam sensor, including "rotor".

Pull cam sensor

Remove pulley. Notice that it only lines up one way.

Pull HB. Factory aluminum HB's stretch and should not, technically, be reused. Neither should the bolt.

http://www.cintcc.com/mn12performance/mn12how-to/BHJ/BHJ-install.html

Remove water pump and timing cover. Don't forget the allen head bolt under the oil pump.

Cam chain tensioner can be pried back and locked into place with small allen key placed in hole of tensioner. Check for wear. Plan to replace.

Cleaning the factory gaskets off was ugly. The coated metallic Felpros are much better.

Nothing SC specific about removing removing intake manifold, although the 3 bolts for the M90 can be a bitch, because of misalignment, and the injector wiring clips can be brittle. There is a special tool to remove the ring on the upper IC tube. Now would be a good time for teflon IC gaskets. The cheap little plastic "rings/inserts" seemed the best for fuel line disconnects.

I'm sure I forgot many (most) details. Requires masochistic tendencies.

Ya know, the head gaskets aren't that far away, when you get this far.
Yes, you may as well pull the heads off and replace the headgaskets at this point. Its only another 20 minutes...

Back