AC compressor rebuild

kennyo

Can you get a rebuild kit for these? I'm tired of replacing them at $200 a pop and I have two bad ones.

I am interested in this too! Perhaps we should go get a junk one and take it apart, see if anything is easy to replace.

EDIT: I found this link, do you think it'll be like our compressor? Sliding vane type?

Last edited:
The condenser is in front of the radiator which brings the high pressured a/c gasses into a high pressured liquid. something like that, lol

What year is your car? What else are you doing when you replace them? You shouldn't have repeat failures with a good compressor unless something else wasn't done right. You should be able to find a new one as opposed to a reman as well...

My problem was a faulty high pressure switch. But I have 2 to rebuild and wondered if there was a kit.

Since reman compressors are available that there tells you there is probably a kit out there to do it. I'm not familiar with the type of compressor used on our car, thus if there are any special tools required to disassemble, rebuild, and re-assemble. Some require presses, others require specialized tools to hold things in place during assembly.

If you can get the compressor type off of the compressor, you can then hit the google or even a local napa to see if a kit is available and if it makes sense to do it. Some compressors, especially on late model vehicles are designed to be questionable rebuilds, with failure patterns that require replacing major pieces for a successful rebuild.

If you get the "black death" because of a failed compressor, you should really flush the system and install an orifice filter when the compressor is replaced. I am not sure if that fits the profile of your compressor failures or not, but if so, it might explain the repeated failure.

its a piston style i think 5 pistons. I tore one apart dont remember if the pistons have any type of ring or seal on them, for the PSI i would think they would. Mine always seem to dry out and seize up on me from not using them.

Back