PDA

View Full Version : Working on my SC..

johnwartjr
05-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Getting ready to finally break down and do the maintenance I've been putting off for a couple years.

Car is a 1995 SC, stock daily driver 12 months of the year, ~150k.

The pinhole in the heater core has grown a bit larger, and I have to break down and replace it.

Since I have to drain the cooling system, I decided to do a water pump at the same time, since mine is original.

I ordered a new radiator fan motor. The one in the car is starting to make noise.

Along with the heater core, water pump and fan motor, I got 3 new hoses and 3 new belts.

I realized I neglected to order a new thermostat, so I'm going to drive over to the parts store and buy one when I get my antifreeze to refill the system.

Are there any reasons I should stick with 195 degree, or is a swap for 180 a good choice for my SC?

Is there anything else I've neglected that I should replace at the same time I'm doing all of this? I will, of course, be verifying all the idlers etc are in good condition, not squealing, loose, etc.

I also have a new set of 97 paint matched door handles and a new lockset I'll be installing at the same time, as the starter switch is loose and the original door handles are bleached something awful. I also plan to install new gears in my speedometer as the odo hasn't worked in awhile.

Any hints, gotchas, etc you might share if you've done this before would be appreciated!

Thanks!

old_coot
05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
doing the heater core is a b1t(h...best way I have found to do it without destroying the core is to take the dash off and the heater box out or open it up then put the dash back in---its not as bad a deal as that sounds, after taking the console out the dash can be out in about 1/2 hour once you know the trick of removing everything intact---dash, wiring harness, ductwork and all...................Dan

johnwartjr
05-11-2010, 10:49 AM
yeah, I'm prepared to pull the entire dash.

I've got a blower motor wiring issue to fix, as well as putting the new gears in the speedo, and fixing a couple dash parts that are damaged in the process. Also probably am going to run a wiring kit for an amplifier or two, in case I decide to add those in down the road.

David Neibert
05-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Stay with the stock thermostat unless you have some way to change the fan settings (programable chip, EEC tuner, Quarter Horse ect..).

David

dbd
05-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Here is the repair thread for the odometer gears....

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/Instructions/Speedo%20-%20Odo%20Repair%20Inst..htm

Later
dbd

johnwartjr
05-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Here is the repair thread for the odometer gears....

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/Instructions/Speedo%20-%20Odo%20Repair%20Inst..htm

Later
dbd

Have you used those odo gears?

I found a cheaper alternative here, but the gears don't look like the same gears:

http://www.speedometergears.com/

I'll probably end up with the super coupe performance ones, because they appear to be right - just strange that their competitor says their gears work, but they are clearly different gears.