Bottom end knock. What would you do and why?

Tiny

I have a new to me '95 SC with a knocking motor. It's all stock, and in good shape. I've been pondering a remanufactured long block from SuperCoupe performance, but I am still weighing the other options. I'm not looking for all out performance, but rather I want long term reliability. I want to enjoy this car for years to come, drive it regularly, and even take it on a few meets and cruises including the Power Tour. I do plan to add some bolt-ons, such as exhaust, cold air intake, underdrive pullies, meth injection (can't hurt, right?) and maybe even an MP case and plenum down the road. This car will be driven on a regular basis. Once I've sold my '01 Silverado, I'll have $3000 - $4000 to spend on the car. So I ask you fellow SC'ers, what would you do? Have the current motor rebuilt, or start fresh with a new long block? What other resources are there, besides SC performance, for parts/rebuilt motors?

Last edited:
Hold on to the silverado till you fix this, You can do a stock rebuild once you pull the engine out. Tell them you want a set of bearings and rings. If you let it get too far it will keep knocking till somethings gives and does more damage. Change the motormounts and all gastkets and seals while you are at it. I guesstimate about a two month down time while you do this. If you dont have the know how then I dont know what to tell you in that case.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Would rebuilding the current motor be cheaper than buying a fresh long block? No matter what I do, I plan to replace as many seals, gaskets, sensors, and accessories as I can while the motor is out.

I'm selling the Silverado to finance this rebuild. I have a 2001 SC that is my daily driver, so no worries there.

Thanks for the reply. Would rebuilding the current motor be cheaper than buying a fresh long block? No matter what I do, I plan to replace as many seals, gaskets, sensors, and accessories as I can while the motor is out.

I'm selling the Silverado to finance this rebuild. I have a 2001 SC that is my daily driver, so no worries there.

I think it would be cheaper. Try to not let the shop touch the deck surface unless you know there is a problem. Some shops use WWII machinery still to do this then you end up with a very rough surface.

The problem with todays current Short or long blocks that your find from SCP and Autozone or whatever is that they are not being built with quality parts, They use crappy pistons that end up chattering under the abuse that the supercharged engine gives. For a stock build it might hold up but if you plan on upping the ante then keep your stock internals. The 94-95 pistons and rods are pretty good and can witstand some abuse.

If you want one of the best builds contact David Dalke, from SuperCoupe Unlimited he does not have a website but he is the go to guy for most of your SC needs.
He can also build you a short or long block. With core exhange. Downside there is a long wait line and patience is key since he is a one guy operation.

Last edited:
If you want one of the best builds contact David Dalke, from SuperCoupe Unlimited he does not have a website but he is the go to guy for most of your SC needs.
He can also build you a stock or long block. With core exhange. Downside there is a long wait line and patience is key since he is a one guy operation.

Is he known as XR7 Dave, on here?

Dave currently has my 90 SC and is rebuilding my engine. I will also attest that he truly knows what he is doing. He is basically just rebuilding my short block, I went with the Wiseco forged pistons, 94/95 connecting rods. It ended up needing a valve job too. Even with the upgraded pistons/rods I still believe the actual cost of the engine rebuild minus the stuff like R&R, fuel pump, injectors, chip that he is doing to my car is less than a new long block. Like others said above, it probably will turn out cheaper and you will know you are getting quality parts this way. I can't wait to make the 3 hour drive to Madison this weekend to go pick up my car from him!

Back