grinding wheel bearings?

joeman007a

once again since i had very few responses. Alright, i know one of my wheel bearing are bad....and out of laziness i dont feel like taking off both tires to figure out which one is bad. the mechanic told me that one was bad but i forgot which one he said. Therefore, i know when i turn right at highway speeds the car sounds like it is grinding. now of out of common sense am i right by saying that i hear the grind when i turn right so that probably means that the driver side wheel bearing is the one needing to be replaced???
help me out.
also, when i brake...the car shakes a little bit, could this be a problem easily solved by this wheel bearing also?
Joe

Yup a worn wheel bearing can cause brake shake.
Jack a wheel up off the ground, make sure you use jackstands to support it.
Try and move the wheel up and down and side to side. If there is any free play, thats the one. Rotate the wheel. If there is grinding or noise, bingo.
This is more effective if you pull the wheel, caliper and rotor off. Then you can get a good look at the wheel hub.

You are correct in assuming that if you turn right and hear the grinding that it probably is your drivers side. However I would see no good reason that you couldn't just jack the car up and spin the wheels and yank and pull on them to easily see for sure what one it is and just how bad it is. If you let it go too long your wheel could actually fall off and probably while you're corning.

I had that problem with my old car, the brakes went out and everything in the front, i got to the mechanic just as the wheel almost completely fell off, i will try to find a picture of it with the wheel sideways to scare ya into fixin it, i was going 80mph less then 30 min before on the interstate, so im very happy it didnt happen while in motion

my car also shakes when i come to a stop, my problem is the bushings on the front wheels the tire shakes left and right when stopping, im replacing those in two days before it wears away completely and its using a washer instead...

hope this helps some

Back