Installing ARP Headstuds before or after placing heads on deck

pablon2

Put the heads on last night. This time around I set the heads on before screwing the headstuds into the block. I am wondering if this wasn't a mistake. I did it this way b/c I wanted to avoid nicking the head sealing surface on the headstuds during install. Also, I figured when installing OEM bolts, people have no choice but to install the bolts after the head is in place. I heard air coming out of some of the holes as I was screwing some of them in and now I wonder if ARP moly lube didn't get forced out of the hole and is sitting between the deck and head gasket. I feel I used the moly lube sparingly. Is the reason why some install the headstuds first so they can wipe off any lube or oil that is forced out by air during stud install? Trying to decide if I need to remove the heads and install new gaskets.

Last edited:
i have never used moly lube where the studs go into the block. only a light coating of engine oil. did you clean the threads properly and make sure there is no liquids (water, coolant, brake clean, ect) sitting in bottom of holes. the Molly is for the nut which must turn on the threads to achieve a torque value. the stud doesnt turn once you install it. in fact i believe it says to use a thread sealant on the part which screws into the block not molly

i would remove the heads and clean everything again. I am not sure what molly lube does between a gasket and block but it cant be that good.

i have never used moly lube where the studs go into the block. only a light coating of engine oil. did you clean the threads properly and make sure there is no liquids (water, coolant, brake clean, ect) sitting in bottom of holes. the Molly is for the nut which must turn on the threads to achieve a torque value. the stud doesnt turn once you install it. in fact i believe it says to use a thread sealant on the part which screws into the block not molly

i would remove the heads and clean everything again. I am not sure what molly lube does between a gasket and block but it cant be that good.

I blew out the holes real good before installing the studs. The holes are blind so I don't know why I would need sealer. I imagine even if there ends up being no lube in the deck I would need to use new gaskets since they are graphite and hence there is a crush factor.

Well, I R&R'd the driver's side over lunch "break"....gotta love working from home. :) Gasket and sealing surfaces showed no signs of lube/oil. Loosened the passenger side head and will complete this evening. Probably wouldn't need to do it given what the driver's side looked like, but at this point it is all about peace of mind and leaving nothing to chance.

Did the passenger side. I'm glad I did it. There was oil on both sides of the gasket around one of the holes. Tomorrow I'll install the pushrods, RRs, and intake manifold. Still debating whether to prime the oiling system as I didn't tear into the bottom end.

Attachments

• DSCN4093.JPG
    DSCN4093.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN4095.JPG
    DSCN4095.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 95
Thats not toooo bad. but best that you caught it in time.. done know what molly lube would have done to a gasket in long run.

hope the project goes well for you.

Back