do you need abs?

birdlessmuz

i was told that we can run our cars without abs system,and was wondering if this is true? also i would like to know what downfalls there would be other than locking brakes?

I hate ABS, I do SCCA autoX and love backroading all of my cars in my free time and haven't had a car with ABS in 5 years. Now from what I have read here it isn't easy to convert the supercoupes to a NON ABS system.

And the downfalls? Really, ABS is a bandaid for someone that doesn't know how to control a sliding condition or those who panic break, there are times where ABS is useful, but I've never liked the concept of something intercepting my ability to break by "pulsing" the brakes by reducing/increasing pressure.

Been driving my car for over a year with non functioning ABS. The hydraulic pump works normally and I have a good accumulator so other than seeing a constant Anti-Lock Light...no issues other than the chance for locking up the brakes.

Reason I have a non-functioning ABS system you ask? A bad wire or connector in the harness near the IRCM that I have not gotten the chance to fix cause I have no place to work on the car.

Well I thought I'd offer my 2 cents on the issue. I like ABS. My first two cars didn't have it, and I learned how to modulated brake pressure to keep from sliding, but the thing is a computer can do it so much faster than a person can, and has exact measurements while humans have to do it by feel. Consistency is the advantage here. Plus, I feel like taking ABS out of the car and putting conventional in sort of takes away from the specialty of the car, and realistically there's not that many things that go wrong with the ABS on the early cars. Usually if you don't ignore the problems until the pump seizes they work very well, and very reliably. I've read all the posts on brake swap to conventional and a lot of people complain of loosing the "sporty" feel to the brake system with the conventional brakes, although thats probably due to worn donor parts.

Back