Argh, a crack.

S_Mazza

With both cylinder heads off, I found a small crack in the firewall. It is on the driver's side, right where the firewall wraps under and joins the transmission tunnel. It looks pretty much like this picture I found by searching:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=262373&postcount=29

So, what is the current wisdom on this? I was thinking of drilling a little hole at each end of the crack, as many have suggested in the past. Does this still sound like a good idea?

Also, I don't think I can get at one end of the crack. The second end faces the ground, so it is blocked by the bellhousing. Will it be a problem if I drill one end only?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The purpose of drilling the hole(s) is to remove the stress riser at the crack edge. While drilling one end will stop (hopefully) the crack propagation at that end...failure to drill the opposite end will do nothing to help there.

Be aware that welding on the firewall is likely to start a fire under the dash. Cotton jute burns easily.....

The purpose of drilling the hole(s) is to remove the stress riser at the crack edge. While drilling one end will stop (hopefully) the crack propagation at that end...failure to drill the opposite end will do nothing to help there.

Well, yeah, that part I get. I just want to be sure that I am not going to make the other end worse by drilling one side and not the other. Not that I think it would; just checking. I would like to do the other end as well, but it's in a tough spot to access. Maybe I can do it from inside after pulling back the carpet.

Yeah, I don't think I will try to weld cotton. :p

Well, yeah, that part I get. I just want to be sure that I am not going to make the other end worse by drilling one side and not the other. Not that I think it would; just checking. I would like to do the other end as well, but it's in a tough spot to access. Maybe I can do it from inside after pulling back the carpet.

Yeah, I don't think I will try to weld cotton. :p

You are not going to get to the firewall from the inside without pulling the dash as well. The mat that goes up against the firewall is behind the HVAC box and can't simply be pulled back.

Personally I would not bother trying to fix any cracks without first eliminating the cause of the cracks. Just something to think about.

Just a thought out of the box here.......they do make some panel adhesives that are pretty good these days. You might be able to fashion a "patch" that would provide some support if you can get to the crack and clean the surface real good.

Personally I would not bother trying to fix any cracks without first eliminating the cause of the cracks. Just something to think about.

What do you think causes it? I mean, are you recommending a subframe connector or tower bracing?

Edit: Or do you mean I need to rise through the ranks of Pennsylvania's state government until I can divert highway funds to repair the roads for my morning commute? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back