another T56 swap

JACTcoupe

Ok so tired of dealing with my M5R2... I just picked up a t56 out of a 98 Camaro.
100_0693.jpg

I been looking into this swap for some time now.. But Its going down now.. This is the parts list and what the run down how I want things to go, as well I have a few questions.
Ok so I have been on the phone with a guy from D&D performance. He know alot and wants to work with me on the swap. He see this becoming more populor as parts for our trannys become harded to find.

D&D Bellhousing
D&D input Shaft
mustang Aluminum flywheel 10.5
Mustang 10.5 clutch

Now does anyone know if the the mustang 10.5" flywheel will work? The balance and all?
Im also looking a buying the B&M shifter for the GTO so that it will set just a bit back.
There is alot more to this Just can think of it all...

thanks
James

Tell them to send me the 31 Spline axles for my 1995 SN95 that they never sent me from 5 years ago. Sent me a set for a Pre 1994 fox body. I sent them back and they swear they never got them. After faxing the UPS confirmation to them and everything....Talked to several people at D&D about it. Everyone said they would look into it and never returned a phone call. And eventually as soon as I would call and tell them who I was, they would hang up on me. Over a three hundred dollar set of axles? My car was sitting in my shop for over 2 months with the rear end apart because of them. I finally said the hell with them and ordered a set elsewhere. Dont get the wrong parts...thats all I have to say James.....What did you pay for the Borg Warner unit? Are you going to have to keep the functioning 1st to 4th lockout?

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up!!! I got everything you see in the pic for the tranny. For $400. I got an amazing deal. Also to tell your the truth I had not heard about the lockout on these trannys until you spoke of it. I did a lil research and I can bypass it. But I will do that After Its installed and working. But from what I understand I just need to jumper the wiring.
But to tell you the truth I mite not want to work with D&D after hearing that.... Well will see...

Thanks for the heads up!!! I got everything you see in the pic for the tranny. For $400. I got an amazing deal. Also to tell your the truth I had not heard about the lockout on these trannys until you spoke of it. I did a lil research and I can bypass it. But I will do that After Its installed and working. But from what I understand I just need to jumper the wiring.
But to tell you the truth I mite not want to work with D&D after hearing that.... Well will see...

I would not install it without going through it. It will need to be disassembled for the input shaft swap anyway. Would be silly not to put synchro's and bearings in it while you are at it. You know it has been beat on...I would find another source for your swap parts. I could not believe the way that D&D treated me over their mistake. It really was rediculous. And I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years(Heck, 3k on that car alone). I didnt even realize that they were wrong till I actually slid them in the housing and they were too short...If anything, suck them dry for information and buy the parts somewhere else. They dont sell anything you cant readily get from someone else. As far as the First to fourth lockout...that is that stupid fuel mileage solenoid that is mounted on the driverside of the shifter housing. Makes you shift from first to fourth in light throttle conditions. I would remedy that before you complete your conversion as well. By the way.....you have read and investigated on how much it actually takes to make this work? Right? You will need some custom machined stuff...Pilot bearings etc...Let alone a crossmember among other things. Getting a functioning slave is gonna take some fancy work in itself....T-56 being external and ours being internal...Then drive shaft issues and speedometer issues...Clutch/flywheel issues....and on and on...Possible and cool, yes, but that there is a major project.

Last edited:
Yeah I have plain to check it over. Replace anything that will be need. I Just mite go though and replace it all for JIC. Haven't got that far.
I was PMing Dave a lil. He was saying he wasn't going to change its clutch and flywheel. And I originally didn't want to. But after checking in to all the bellhousing. They all claim that the largest flywheel that will fit is 10.5". So i would need a smaller flywheel. I haven't heard anything about the 11" being a problem, but I haven't heard other wise ether... I guess my best bet is to buy the bellhousing to see if it works or not....
The one thing that suck is that D&D has one of the cheapest prices on the bellhousings. But I don't want them to do me like they have done you. I will probably just not take the chance. Plus I don't like giving my money to crooks.

What configuration tranny?

What platform sourced your trans? LT1, LS1, Viper or GTO?
If yours is a GM sourced unit the solenoid 'skip-shift' is not used on ford or mopar units. It is a mode that is triggered by the ECU to force a gear to be skipped at higher rpm's. Just leave it unplugged (there is a jumper kit-skip-shift delete available for GM's)
My trans is a LS1 sourced unit. I am using a standard SC flywheel, modified SC slave cyl., a sleeve for the pilot brg. (using a GM brg). Check out this thread. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75969&page=2

Last edited:
What platform sourced your trans? LT1, LS1, Viper or GTO?
If yours is a GM sourced unit the solenoid 'skip-shift' is not used on ford or mopar units. It is a mode that is triggered by the ECU to force a gear to be skipped at higher rpm's. Just leave it unplugged (there is a jumper kit-skip-shift delete available for GM's)
My trans is a LS1 sourced unit. I am using a standard SC flywheel, modified SC slave cyl., a sleeve for the pilot brg. (using a GM brg). Check out this thread.
MikeH

1998 Camaro would be an LS1... Like yours right?

Yeah, I think the LS1's started in '98. If you're gonna use a unit with a GM input shaft might want to use a sleeve for the pilot (use a gm brg.) and then space the trans so the splines don't contact. Instead of the thin piece of crap that came with my McLeod adapter kit. Have yet to fix my garage front so I have a lumber yard under my car! Which precludes the x-member mods needed to pull block and trans for setup.
Will update the other thread as I make progress.
MikeH

Well After doing a lil research I discovered that that its an LT1 t-56...Hints the external Slave, I also read that in your forum MikeH. Im glad to see that your bellhousing would let you use the 11" flywheel. That changes the way I plain to do things. Im having the tranny gone through so a the same time Im going to have 10spline input shaft installed. Its only $100 for the shaft. And I hope that will eliminate most of the pilot bearing problems.. But one problem with having the LT1 tranny, I am left with an external slave cylinder. I would rather Use the SC slave. But the problem being is bolting it to the midplate and it fitting of the shaft like you had(mike)... Now I know I can buy a new midplate but thats costly and would rather not. Im wonder if I can dill & tip the LT1 mid plate to work? I will be checking in to that tomorrow. Mike, did you have problems with clutch disengagement? I was reading that you need shims for the clutch but was that cuz your using the LS1 Clutch?

James A.

clutch..

James, haven't got that far yet. Have had a few non-car related issues that have halted progress.
With the LS1 shaft being as long as it is and using a spacer to get the i/p shaft depth proper it should give me some more rearward reach for the shifter.
MikeH

Back