running without EVO valve piston/spring?

sinhumane

ok, i know this is a ridiculous question, but i have good reason. shortly before deploying, my car took a royal dump on me. the power steering pump got replaced in the same timeframe as me troubleshooting.

now. after installing said power steering pump and buttoning everything back up.. to my horror, i noticed the little spring and piston laying on the ground where the EVO valve goes into the side of the pump.. now i've deduced that a failed fuel pump is to blame for the car being dead, and i'm halfway around the globe. i want to send it into the shop for a fuel pump replacement, but dont want the ps pump to explode, steering be unsafe, universe collapse, etc etc.

will the car still steer fine without the piston and spring in it? i hate to pay said shop to pull a ps pump and reinstall it (because even though all it takes is removing the EVO valve, said shop will probably want to remove the pump) when its a 30 min job for me. :eek:

so i'm guessing noone knows? would i be wrong in assuming it would give max pressure at all times, just making the PS extra touchy? or would it be just fine if the EVO valve was just unplugged?... hmmm.

So you are saying part of the valve is missing? As long as there is nothing loose in the housing that will move around, you can disconnect the control wire from the valve and run it. You will get max assist at all speeds which will feel weird, and may make the car twitchy, but it should be safe to drive.

Back