SC runs like new with replacement IAC

mybirdcanfly

92 T-bird, s-mod blower, custom ram air, otherwise stock AOD

I'm afraid this part will become discontinued. I've now had this problem on 2 of my SCs.

The search of previous threads found someone who cleaned the unit out and got it to work. Is this a mechanical problem, where it dries out, binds up, or something like that?

I took the old one and sprayed it, flushed it with PB blaster and it got better but then decided to get one from a 90 AOD parts car that was at least 8 years old and it made the 92 run like brand new...even better if it's not my imagination. The bad unit seemed dried out compared to the unit that worked, and that good unit seemed to be oiled up somehow. I'm tempted to soak the unit in PB blaster overnite and see what happens.

Ford has it for $129, listed as 9F715, but there are different types, I could not determine through conversation with the Ford parts guy the significance of having to know the "engine calibration number".

But rock auto also has a listing for a Motorcraft for $75, any reason not to think that this is a good Motorcraft part?

Some of the threads on this warn of aftermarket not working.

Back