Cooling Question

racer02sl

From what I've read, it looks like its common for our SC's to run a little hot in the summer months. I happen to notice this the other day with mine. While sitting at a traffic light, 80 deg F outside temp. I noticed the temperature gauge was between the O and R (NORM). As I took off and got up to speed, the temperature went to the N. Cruising down the highway, it stays slightly below N.

The radiator is fairly new, so I doubt it needs flushed, but i'm going to do it anyways... My question is, what are some things I can do to help cooling? I'll probably go with a 70/30 coolant(Prestone)/water mix. I've seen a couple threads where some are using a "water wetter" to help cool the engine. I've never used this stuff before, but if it is safe to use in our SC's, i.e. does not hurt the Head Gaskets and will mix with Prestone... I may consider it. I want to do some "cheap insurance".

Last edited:
Resist the urge to get creative. Ford designed a well functioning system...work to make sure it is intact and working as designed - that's all that's needed.

Be sure the chin spoiler is intact/in place. Same goes for the skirt from the radiator over the sway bar and the baffles along the vertical sides of the radiator.

Be sure the radiator is not clogged...outside and inside. Blow it out front to back with compressed air and dress any bent fins with a comb designed for that purpose.

If you open the system, be sure to patiently bleed all air...it takes time and care to get it all.

Confirm the overflow tube is not plugged and that the overflow tank contains the proper amount of coolant to support both cold and hot states.

Have the pressure cap tested or replace it with the proper spec. 16lbs is what my '90 requires.

Test the specific gravity of the coolant to be sure the proper protection is available.

Get the AC tested to be sure it is up to spec as well. Check the condenser to confirm it is clear of debris/damage, etc. so that it doesn't impede airflow more than normal.

Check the temp gauge sender press-on connector to be sure it is clean, tight and supporting a reliable electrical connection.

Resist the urge to move away from the stock thermostat - don't do so casually.

Confirm the stock electric fan is functioning according to spec.

Back