Exhaust / Tuning recommendations

EatonEmployee

I just got a gem of a supercoupe. I want to put an exhaust system on it now. I want to know the best option for our cars. I am stock. I was hoping for magnaflow system with spun high flow cats. Any part numbers? Dealers or companies I can get what I need? what is my best option?

I am stock but will change that piece buy piece. So, this exhaust will eventually need to support a tune, probably higher boost levels. I have a 93 AOD with every option a SC can have. I may go T-5 but I will wait until tranny gives me issues. Car has 97k on the clock. I am totally eager to hear tuning tips. IE remove silencer? MAF and TB size recommendations. 10 things most you guys do right away to see power and efficiency gains. thanks.......Newbie

Lincoln

Attachments

• Super Coupe 1.jpg
    Super Coupe 1.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 138
I just got a gem of a supercoupe. I want to put an exhaust system on it now. I want to know the best option for our cars. I am stock. I was hoping for magnaflow system with spun high flow cats. Any part numbers? Dealers or companies I can get what I need? what is my best option?

I am stock but will change that piece buy piece. So, this exhaust will eventually need to support a tune, probably higher boost levels. I have a 93 AOD with every option a SC can have. I may go T-5 but I will wait until tranny gives me issues. Car has 97k on the clock. I am totally eager to hear tuning tips. IE remove silencer? MAF and TB size recommendations. 10 things most you guys do right away to see power and efficiency gains. thanks.......Newbie

Lincoln

do heads and cam that was my first priority but it depends what kind of power you wanna make;)

Nice car. Exhaust is good upgrade. Toss the stock cats and resonator in favor for some higher flowing ones. You can keep the stock mufflers up to about 300RWHP.

heads cam

I wanted to do the simple stuff. Remove silencer, maybe a place to get pulley to increase boost, modify or increase MAF. This things with an exhaust chip and a tune should see almost 100hp gains. Aluminum heads are a grand and my intake/ exhaust can't keep up with that yet.

Quick tricks to release available HP. Hopefully... I am new to the SC thing but have done foxbodies my whole life.

Lincoln

SWEET CAR!!

a t-5 is not a good option I have been told. i would shoot for a t-56 or similar.

I was in the same situation bought a mint sc and thought of doing performance mods but decided to leave it stock.

The first thing that you want to do is go through the car: check the motor mounts, harmonic balancer and do all your maintenance. You will know if your mounts are bad by looking at the distance between the oil pan and the subframe, if bad replace them. Other thing, if you have the factory harmonic balancer replace it before it breaks both of these things are 100% failure parts if original. Both motor mounts and BHJ balancer can be puchased from supercoupe performance.

Also check to see if the plugs and wires are original, my car has 120k miles and both were original; if so replace with autolite double platinum and stock replacement wires.

When you get all your maintenance items out of the way you can strart with removing intake silencer.
For exhaust there is not a lot of choises, you can go to supercoupeperformance.com and look at the catback and downtubes on there or you can have custom exhaust built. Either way to do it right you will spend almost 1k. I think the SCP exhaust uses some of the magnaflow products.

I wanted to do the simple stuff. Remove silencer, maybe a place to get pulley to increase boost, modify or increase MAF. This things with an exhaust chip and a tune should see almost 100hp gains. Aluminum heads are a grand and my intake/ exhaust can't keep up with that yet.

Quick tricks to release available HP. Hopefully... I am new to the SC thing but have done foxbodies my whole life.

By the way exhaust, chip tune and pulley will get you nowhere near 100hp.
stock sc puts down 175-180whp depending on transmission.
With all those things you would be lucky to make 220-230whp; SC by far does not respond to mods like a 5.0 fox body.

Nice looking car. Let me give you a list that I think will really wake up your car without requiring a tune right away.

1. Exhaust - high-flow cats and a new resonator
2. Remove air silencer and install a K&N filter panel, or
2a. remove air silencer and make or buy a cold-air kit with cone filter and divider/heat shield
3. upgrade to a late model blower and plenum with a 5% OD pulley or
3a. (preferred) late model blower with your stock 93 pulley and a 5% (10% if you're feeling lucky) OD jack shaft pulley
4. 3.73 rear gear and rebuild
5. shift kit
6. 255FI fuel pump (overkill at first, but smart investment)

Optional

7. 75mm TB with inlet plenum port matched
8. 73 or 76mm C&L MAF with correct sample tube for your injectors
9. torque converter
10. bigger IC (Ken W makes a nice double core)

Those should wake the car up pretty well and cost less than $2,000 if you shop around and wait for deals, plus be safe enough to run without needing a tune right away. I'd install an A/F meter (LC-1 for example) to make sure you're not leaning out at WOT though. Peace of mind is better than needing a rebuild. ;)

Best of luck, and I 2nd the advice on making sure everything is up to par mechanically before starting. Bad balancer, plugs, wires, etc could ruin your day really quickly.

yeah eaton as previously posted do your homework, your asking a lot out of an otherwise stock car

easiest way to pick up that 100hp is to ditch the sc and slap on a turbo

Sweet car.

First and foremost as had been mentioned make sure you have a good tuneup. Good plugs, wires, fuel filter.

As far as mods here is where I would go first.

1) Look for a 94/95 blower/inlet. When you find one for a good deal its a great bang for the buck.
2) Underdrive pullies
3) Some sort of air intake/remove air silencer/K&N panel filter. Less restriction = more power
4) You can get a 5% jackshaft pulley now. It will give you a modest gain in boost and more potential power
5) 255lph pump/42lb inj/mtching MAF...This setup will be good to a bit over 300rwhp
6) DOuble intercooler with fan or even add a fan to your factory unit for now

As far as exhaust if your on a budget just replace the factory cats and resonator with high flow magnaflow or whomever componants.

If your going to spend the cash on a whole system my advice is get a later model 93 and up mn12 gas tank. It has a more direct flow pattern for exhaust. I'd do dual 2.5 inch ..Or you can go dual 2.5 into a single 3 or 3.5 inch midpipe and back out to dual 2.5.

On every sc I have ever had changing the exhaust will almost always feel like a loss of power down low..But top end is where you will make it up

All of the above will be nice till you deciede its not enough and want more...
Ive owned several SC's an dthis is where I always start...But never finish there!

Also a tune for the above will REALLY wake it up

1 name - Dave...thats all you need to know

I wish I new Dave before I started doing mods to my car

Just contact Dave Dalke with an amount you want to spend and a HP goal and he'll do his best (which is work miracles).

He can get you parts and or let you know where to go to get parts.

If I were you I would stay away from too much boost, MAF and Injectors right now and instead do the mods that wont require a tune just yet.

Good Luck!

Just finished round one on a 90 XR7.

Over time you will find the upgrades come as groups.

General maintenance is first. Check univerals and diff bushings as part of prep for upgrades.

If staged in $1k increments....

Exhaust system... I used the mandrel stainless 2.5 ", Magnaflow 14" stainless mufflers and a pair of Magnaflow tube 18" resonators. True dual. The cat system and 2" was left in place awaiting step 2.

Next would be 76Maf, 75 TB within a CAI system. MP Plenum and nicely ported late model blower. Early model pully at 3%. If not changing intercoolers do not push boost.

This was a 2 week process and I had to include a late model tank change, 255pump, 60 lb injectors and a base tune.

My preference was to maintain the stock components which will be returned to car at a later date.

Step 2 will be in the winter. This is a separate purpose built motor that includes all forged components, cam and worked heads. Ported late model manifolds (hence the cats still in use), MPX system, considerable overdrive and fabricated FMIC.

Every step I have taken has been based on these forums and the expertise that is resident here.

Always think a step ahead with a clear plan to what your final goal is. This will avoid duplicate processes and the substantial cost associated with doing thing twice. Buy quality components that are well mated to each other.

You can build in $1K increments and get a little bang for the buck all the way along.

Count on $6k plus to go extreme.

Converting to the newer style tank just allows you more choices for exhausts systems. Now that you can buy a mandrel bent dual exhaust for the early tank, there is no reason to convert over.

My car put 350 rwhp to the ground with only 16 psi with an early style tank and 2-1-2 exhaust. I don't think going around that tank is much of a restriction as some people claim.

Converting to the newer style tank just allows you more choices for exhausts systems. Now that you can buy a mandrel bent dual exhaust for the early tank, there is no reason to convert over.

My car put 350 rwhp to the ground with only 16 psi with an early style tank and 2-1-2 exhaust. I don't think going around that tank is much of a restriction as some people claim.

In my opinion a used 50-75$ gas tank is a small investment when you are already changing a fuel pump and doing an exhaust. Regardles of power output it's much easier to create an exhaust using a later tank and its definitely a straighter shot back.

In my opinion a used 50-75$ gas tank is a small investment when you are already changing a fuel pump and doing an exhaust. Regardles of power output it's much easier to create an exhaust using a later tank and its definitely a straighter shot back.

If they are only that cheap. I for one would have bought one. But it was inconvenient to find one, pull one, and pay for one while not getting robbed.
I dont think that bend is a huge deal either. But if you can get one cheap that is loose then by all means upgrade.

David

I put your HP output and dedication to the build beyond extreme. You actually represent the membership that gets it. Methodical approach, set goals and an evolution in design and utilization.

For me personally a reliable 325 to the wheels would represent an achievment well above what I thought possible. That build is pretty well covered within this site. Thats what I was trying to impart.

I got involved because the car was rare and undervalued and/or appreciated. Never turned a wrench till 6 weeks ago.

I try to absorb as much as possible from here in order to stage the expenses, and upgrades towards the final result. Can't afford to do things twice.

As far as the tank is concerned, I did Universals and Diff bushings because the pump install put me there. Just an efficiency thing. For $100.00 more I upgraded what visually appeared to be one of the most awkward exhaust routes I had ever seen. Net HP gain or not... it just looked slow.

Mods

Just be aware, according to the experts here, if you add much of anything you need to invest in a tune of not a chip and a tune. Read my thread where I got reamed for asking these questions, then questioning, then griping a bit. Looks like you can change diff gears, add a K&N filter, change plugs and wire, maybe under-drive pulleys...anything else "demands" a tune. Order Taylor wires from Summit and go with stock Motorcraft plugs.

Back