need help

Greg Coleman

I just put the wifes 94 bird back together and had it running no problem and it ran well.The car has been sitting for 2 years and I ran it out of gas so I went and got some more sunoco 94 and put it in.Well I dont know what I was thinking but i turned the key on and pumped the gas a few times(wrong move) I do believe I flooded the dam thing.I also didnt realize that if you put your foot to the floor and hold it there it will stop the injectors from feeding the motor.Well i let it sit for a week and tried it the next weekend and when i first turned it over it wanted to fire but stupid me I never put my foot down and i think its flooded again.I tried many time throughout the weekend and no go.So I pulled 2 plugs and they are soaking wet.I dried them off and put them back and not even a sputter.This time I found out about putting my foot to the floor and kept it there even when I wasnt cranking.
I checked and I have spark and and i checked the fuel when the key was on and the fuel is bareley trickling out of the rail with key on.The wife cranked it over and the fuel shot up about 3 feet so there is lots of fuel.Now correct me if I'm wrong but if the crank sensor was gone I wouldnt get any spark what so ever.I ran a key on engine off test and it came back code 111 pass all codes.Im thinking of pulling all the plugs and let it evaporate now thats just my thought.Also when I turn the key on the upshift light doesnt come on.When I was doing the the key on engine off test the check engine light wouldnt go out after all the other dash lights went off.I think it might be more then just being flooded but who knows.
Does anyone have any suggestions.I know the engine runs well because we had it running.Please help me.The engine is fully rebuilt with a 580 lift cam and everything is fully ported and bigger valves ans so on.

Last edited:
This is 2010. You can't pump the peddle and flood cars with fuel injection.

Start over. Be sure the battery is holding at least 12 volts. Charge it up good with a charger...not the alternator if you should get it running.

Check the collision switch in the trunk to see if it has been tripped.

Get a gauge and test fuel pressure at the port on the rail with the key on...should be around 32~ 37 PSI.

Get the directions for doing a self test when the engine isn't running and read the codes step-by-step so you take advantage of the correct procedure or have someone do that for you.

I know I'm a bodyman and i know most mechanical stuff as well i could have kicked myself in the azz for that.But I was wondering what the fuel pressure should be without the car running.There is no way there is that much pressure in my rail with the key on.There might be 40lbs when it is being cranked as i will find out tomorrow when I get my fuel pressure guage.Now if the crank sensor goes will the fuel and or the spark get shut down? or both?

Last edited:
Just turning key to on you should hear pump for 1-2 seconds. At this point your at 40lbs approx. in rail.

If there are any injector leaks it will quickly collapse.

Could the flooding smell by chance be injector(s) leaking?

Thanks gentlemen thats what I thought the spark is cut so the crank sensor is ok then.But when I turn the key on the pump does come on and some what pressurize the fuel rail but there is very little presure.When I crank it over there seems to be lots of pressure.Like I say I will go and get my fuel pressure gauge and that will tell the story. Now I have a multi tune chip and it has a basic tune on it from Dave and I have it set in position 0 would that be correct? This car is going to drive me to drink.:(

Back