Exhaust help???!!

EatonEmployee

Thanks for all the info. It was exactly what I needed. I ordered "a" cat for my car. I obviously need an exhaust system for my car and thought it would come as a set. I ordered the Magnaflow 54306 as recommended from the spinning wheels website. I think I need two, Magnaflow says I need two, summit says I need only one and Ford says my car has 3!!?? I could look or trust the exhaust shop but....no. I prefer tried and true expertise. That is you guys. Whatever my car posses is irrelevant.

I would like to know what configuration I should use. Header, complete system, resonators, cats, how many? Can you guys shoot me some ideas and or part numbers. The 54306 I have is 2.5 in/out and supports up to 5.2 liters. I do not think it will effect the "lite-all" reaction and hopefully will not trigger an emission light. If so shoot me what you know.

So far I have learned that I can get gains, buy upgrading to a 94-95 plenum and blower. I work for Eaton so I can get this at cost. So can you because I appreciate your valuable info. I was planning on the bigger inlet mods, but I really appreciate the cooling tips. My car runs near the M, especially at idle after I make the car preform. My car seems to not cool itself efficiently enough for me. Fan on the inter-cooler...nice. Heat separating ideas are much appreciated.

Right now I just need to know what configuration to do this exhaust. I want to keep my tank. So, specifically how many cats, what kind, and resonators, what kind. Can someone educate and brake it down for me. I want to do this right and design it for around a 300rwhp car.

thanks , Lincoln

Past experience and questions...

Of all the things you can do to your SC to bump up HP, exhaust is probably the most important. Not that it will give you the most HP gain, it won't, but, it will allow for you to mod the engine more, especially the supercharger. I would either get a set of aftermarket shorty or long-tube headers (if there are any), or have your existing manifolds ported (collectors). Go with a 2.5" downpipe to two 2.5" high flow cats (one per side). Exiting the cats, go to a High flow resonator (Mangaflow or Dynomax dual inlet (2.5") and single outlet resonator. I think here is where you will find various opinions on what to do next. Some say to run a single 3" pipe out the back, others will say go with a true dual 2.5" to the back to mufflers or no mufflers at all. There really is no one way works for all setup though.

I just had a RREEALLLY bad experience with a dynomax resonator...Was bad from day 1..So Id stick with magnaflow or borls..Both Ive had both great experience with

Your best bet, rather than take the word of anyone is to look at it and decide what you'd want to do, since at the end of the day...it's your car, and your money.

Now, you aren't required to have headers to make power. However, if you decide to keep the manifolds, have them ported.
Next, I don't really care what on the stock exhaust works. If I'm going to upgrade, I'd do it all at once. Proper mandrel bent downtubes in SS, followed by two high-flow cats. A resonator is a must on these cars (cats also) unless you like the sound of an abnoxiously loud car. I would stick with Magnaflow in this area. Also, have two mufflers. Basic system right?

I'd go 2.25 SS, mandrel bent exhaust(possibly 2.5 depending on what you really plan on doing with the car in the long run), ported manifolds, two high flow cats, one magnaflow resonator and two mufflers. The mufflers I like are the Borla Pro XS. My car has this same setup, is quiet, and sounds great at part throttle/WOT with no drone. I know DLF had some issues with the Pro XS mufflers, and the fact that they had surface rust (even though they are SS)

But yeah. My apologies if I jump around. Long night, with little sleep. Heck, I'm barely awake to be honest.

-Corey

Just an FYI..Stainless does not mean no rust. Especially if you live near the coast or if your municipalities use salt for the roads.

Back