B&M Ripper Shifter or Related problem.

ricardoa1

So Ive been continuing to fix little issues with the blue car and I was making head way. But yesterday I noticed that my shifter became very sloppy. Almost as if a stock shifter has fallen apart. My shifter used to feel very crisp and accurate, now it is still precise put I get lots of movement in each individual gear. 5Th is the most noticeble. The nuts that hold the rod to the shifter are tight. I get side to side movement. Anyone have have this issue happen on their RIPPER?

I almost fear it is not ripper and it is the linkage to the forks that lost one of its brass bushings or something.

Maybe the shifter came loose from the transmission housing.

I think this is the problem after taking the console top off.

I placed my hand on the lower part of the shifter and it seems to have play. I fear now that there will be stripped or snapped bolts. :mad: :rolleyes:

Sucks.

Oh well time to take the whole console out and see whats cooking under there. I wonder if this is common?

Not sure what its called but there is a spring that sits left of the shifter plunger (ball) inside the tranny,

I think if it broke or got dislodged you would lose the crisp locked in feeling the shifter has. Especially left-right.

I hope this is not it because if broken it will drop down into the tranny.

Sorry for the non technical description.

Hey

Listen, Had the same thing happen on Bryan Moores old red 94 SC. The same bolts that hold the shifter handle and the bolts on the tranny housing came loose. Felt like crap. Tighten them and walahhh!!! No more slop!!

See you in Carlisle!!

Don

Mine does the same exact thing on my 35th. It feels like it's always in neutral. The side to side slop is unbelievable! I've never felt anything like it before in my life. Please let us know what you find out.

Michael

YEah it was the shifter to trans bolts three of them backed out. Enough that the RTV seal let loose and the shifter moved side to side. Thank god no broken or stripped bolts. Im cleaning it up and putting it back together. I think I got some blue locktite I will try this time. Not sure what the torque on these puppies are. I dont want to redo anytime soon. Taking the console out on a 94 is not easy if you are trying no to scratch the ebrake handle leather.

Back