Speedometer millage & trip odometer not working.

peter

My 95 SuperCoup millage and trip odometer section of the dash stoped working. It still registers how fast I am going, but not how far I went. Is it a problem with the dash unit or something else. I have an automatic trany and a 140 MPH speedometer. It stopped working at 90000 miles. Thanks for your help.

The gears inside your Speedometer either have some broken teeth, or are ever so slightly fused into a stuck position that the motor inside the ticker cant break them free. I just replaced mine not even 2 weeks ago. You can buy them new from supercoupeperformance.com, or save some money and buy a set off of "the-big-e" here on the forums....he's where I got mine. A very easy fix.

My 95 SuperCoup millage and trip odometer section of the dash stoped working. It still registers how fast I am going, but not how far I went. Is it a problem with the dash unit or something else. I have an automatic trany and a 140 MPH speedometer. It stopped working at 90000 miles. Thanks for your help.

Common problem, both mine are broken. Search "odometer repair" for info on how to fix them.

David

Speedomete odometer

I had the same issue. Go to a junk yard that has a bunch of birds and you can get one cheap. I am fortunate to have a U-pull it yard with about a dozen birds, 88'-97'. You don't need one from an SC to work properly.

I had the same issue. Go to a junk yard that has a bunch of birds and you can get one cheap. I am fortunate to have a U-pull it yard with about a dozen birds, 88'-97'. You don't need one from an SC to work properly.

The problem with a junk yard cluster is that you may end up with the same problem within a short time. In fact, it happened to me - bought one on Friday, installed Saturday, and it quit a week later. This time around, I'm just going to buy new gears and replace them.

Just a thought to hopefully save some trouble :)

-Melon

If memory serves there is a procedure on supercoupeperformance.com on how to affect the repair with the replacement gears.

My odometer quit for about a day and is now working again. I guess it will quit again soon so I better figure out how to fix it.

When I had a discussion with "the-big-e" about why these quit working, he said that out of the hundred's of odometer gears he's pulled, he has always seen a common factor. There are some that have blue gears, and some have black...Referring to the small 20 tooth wheel. Every time he pulled one and it had the blue gears, it was either seized, or had broken teeth. And every time he came across one's with the black gears, they were still slick (freely spinning) and without any teeth missing. Strangely enough, there is not a specific time frame that Ford switch these "colors" as a fix to anything. He said he's found them all mixed up within all 89-97's MN12 cars.

Hope Eddie doesn't mind that I've quoted him here...:cool:

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR HELP. I took my speedometer apart and sure enough it had blue gears. The one had a tooth broken off. I changed them and now it works good. Thanks again.

Captive audience.

Don't see a lot of cracked dashes up here. That pocket of air behind cluster must heat up big time south of a certain point down there.

Throw something on the back package tray and park back window into sun.

Back